Media's Negative Depiction of Eritrea is based on Lies: Canadian Human Rights Lawyer

From: Dimtzi Eritrawian Kab German <eritreanvoice.germany_at_googlemail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 02:32:25 +0200

Madote.comMedia's Negative Depiction of Eritrea is based on Lies: Canadian
Human Rights Lawyer
<http://www.madote.com/2014/06/the-medias-negative-depiction-of.html>
http://www.madote.com/2014/06/the-medias-negative-depiction-of.html
Written By Admin on Jun 13, 2014 | 3:58 PM
3comments
<http://www.madote.com/2014/06/the-medias-negative-depiction-of.html>

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rTjCTVAImKo/U5ts0hFI85I/AAAAAAAAF70/6S-mPzZT2nw/s1600/lloyd_lipsett_july_19_2012_0.jpg>Lloyd
Lipsett, an international human rights lawyer
*The Media's Negative Depiction of Eritrea is based on Lies: Lloyd Lipsett*

During a Canadian Subcommittee on International Human Rights on 5 June,
Lloyd Lipsett, a human rights lawyer who visited Eritrea on two occasions,
informed government officials that the human rights violations and negative
characterization that the media reports of Eritrea doesn't align with the
investigation he conducted in the country. Lipsett said
<http://youtu.be/GdTF5nEGyq8?t=11m27s>:

"First, there are some differences between external reports from what I was
able to observe on the ground. Frankly, I expected a more militarized and
overtly repressive environment than I witnessed in Asmara and at the mine
(Nevsun's Bisha mine) site. I acknowledge my investigation did not delve
into civil and political rights issues that are reported about Eritrea. But
my first and second impressions of the country, and particularly of the
mine site, do not concord with the characterization of Eritrea as the North
Korea of Africa."

When Nina Grewal, a politician for the conservative party asked Lipsett to
expand on his claim of the media's negative characterization and reports'
of human rights issues as as not aligning with the realities in Eritrea,
Lipsett explained <http://youtu.be/GdTF5nEGyq8?t=23m9s>:

"As I mentioned, I have read many of these reports before going to Eritrea,
and I expected to see more overt oppression as you see in other one party
states, and I didn't see that. And the people who i've spoken to, both
formally and informally, did not observe the traits of people who were
fearful."

Despite numerous tourists, journalists, diplomats and human rights
observers who visited Eritrea drawing similar conclusions as Lipsett's
statements, the outrageous defamation of Eritrea in the media will go
unabated largely for political reasons, which calls into question what is
press freedom if these "free presses'" false accusations of certain
countries always aligns with the political moods of their respective
governments?

Read more:
http://www.madote.com/2014/06/the-medias-negative-depiction-of.html#ixzz34ZL9UZZ8