Shabait.com: "I want them to first hand experience the peace and stability prevailing in Eritrea"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:06:28 +0200

<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/17157-i-want-them-to-first-hand-exper
ience-the-peace-and-stability-prevailing-in-eritrea> "I want them to first
hand experience the peace and stability prevailing in Eritrea"

Friday, 30 May 2014 07:42 | Written by Yishak Yared |
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/17157-i-want-them-to-first-hand-exper
ience-the-peace-and-stability-prevailing-in-eritrea?format=pdf> PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/17157-i-want-them-to-first-hand-exper
ience-the-peace-and-stability-prevailing-in-eritrea?tmpl=component&print=1&l
ayout=default&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=d653a2ad7b6a65
17f4b6bcb8fc6759eebbe41012> E-mail

06.06.2014

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/images/abc-may-30-article-qa.jpgHe
fled his country in 1975 with his parents at his teen age fleeing the brutal
and indiscriminate killing of innocent Eritreans by the Derge regime. He
stayed for two years in the Sudan and in 1977 he went to Germany. Currently
he is residing in the UK and working at the Eritrean Embassy as head of
media. In every major events in the country he comes with different cultural
troupes and renowned singers from different countries to celebrate the event
with his people. Shabait.com had the opportunity to have an interview with
him.

Q:-We would like to thank you for your being with us for this brief
interview. Tell us about yourself.

My name is Yared Tesfai. I was born in Asmara in 1965. I took my elementary
education (up to 3rd grade) at the then American School in Asmara. 1975 had
been the year during which the Derg regime came to power and started
indiscriminate killings of innocent Eritreans simply because they were
Eritreans. Hence, my parents decided to flee the country to seek refuge in
the Sudan. I was then 15 years old teenager. We stayed in the Sudan for
about two years and in 1977 we went to Germany. It was here that I continued
my formal education.

Q:-How and when did you happen to join music?

Along side my college education, I took formal music education at the
Pelikan Music School in Hamburg majoring Saxophone Alto. When we arrived in
Germany in 1977, there were no Eritreans of my age in the city I had been
living. But in 1980 many Eritrean youngsters started coming and I found the
opportunity not only to exercise my language but also to form a music group
and practically experience the music I learned at the music school. It was
then that we were able to form the Red Flowers (Keyahti Embaba) cultural
troupe in Diaspora. This cultural troupe had been instrumental in raising
the awareness of the Eritrean people. The cultural troupe had not been
confined in playing music but also had been conducting political, cultural
and social education among the members and other Eritrean youth in the area
aimed at strengthening our attachment with our culture and societal values
as well as raising our awareness on the ongoing national struggle for our
independence.

As time goes on we went more matured and started thinking on how we could
contribute in our capacity to the Eritrean struggle for independence. That
was when we stared making contacts with similar revolutionary groups aimed
at spreading our cause and at the same time collecting items we think could
be of help to the struggle. And with that we have been successful and many
youth of other countries in the areas we have been living came to know and
understand the Eritrean struggle for independence.

Q:-What progress did you make with your cultural group?

We had the chance, for the first time, to perform music at the Bologna
Eritrean festival in 1980. Here we had the chance to get recognition by many
Eritreans who participated in the festival. From here we were able to
conduct a tour to several countries in Europe promoting the Eritrean cause
among Eritreans and other people interested in our cause.

In 1981 we have been invited to go to the US as part of our tour in Europe.
That was when we met some of the senior leaders of the EPLF. I could not
tell you how I felt the fact that I happen to meet face to face with the
people I only knew by their names. It had been an opportunity only few of my
age could find.

In 1984 a big music competition had been organized in Europe. In this music
competition different Eritrean renowned musicians and singers took part. For
example, from Italy Tekle Hiwket, from Sweden Ibrahim and Arefaine Gebru,
from Holland Habtemicael Gebremicael came to perform. And we as a group got
the chance to participate in the show. At the end of the show a cultural
troupe 'Mekaleh Eritrea' has been officially established under the umbrella
of the EPLF. And I became part of it.

Q:-What happened later?

In 1988 I got the chance to come to the field and have more experience about
the daily life of the liberation fighters and have discussions aimed sharing
experience with the cultural troupes that have been established in the
field. That had been huge experience for me. And that also created for me
huge motivation. Three years later, in 1991, right some months after
Eritrean independence I came to my beloved country after 16 years with
'Dahai Eritrea' cultural troupe to express our joy with our people.

Q:-Let's go to another issue. Every year during Independence Day
celebrations you are here with different music groups and renowned singers.
What motivates you do that?

Independence Day celebration is a very important event for the Eritrean
people. Our independence had not been handed over to us with silver plate.
We won our independence through our lives and blood. And that makes our
independence day very special. In other words, I also have the eagerness to
show other peoples on how the day is very important to the Eritrean people.

And the people that could meet and bring them here to join our celebrations
are people engaged in music. Hence bringing them to join our celebrations
have dual purpose: to add color to our celebrations and enable them get
understanding on the peace and stability prevailing in our country and with
that they would be able to share their experiences with their compatriots.

Q:-How do you contact them?

As I told you, I am working as head of media in the Eritrean Embassy. My
occupation allows me to have contact with different individuals in different
countries. My profession as a musician also gives me the opportunity to know
many musicians and singers. So far from 2004 on wards I had invited several
musicians and singers to join our Independence Day celebration. To mention
but few, Fulani from Germany, UMOJA from South Africa, Crane Performers from
Uganda, Crown Nkula Africa from Uganda, Charlotte Khoza from South Africa,
the Nazrawian Cultural groups, and renowned singers Jackie Chadurie from
Uganda, Ms. Jojo from Rwanda, TikenJah Fakoly from South Africa have come to
Eritrea to join our Independence Day celebrations.

Q:-What about Eritrean singers?

You know, there are around 82 Eritrean singers known as Eri-Artista fully
engaged in international music and film industry. All of them are eager to
join our festivities, but with all the logistical challenges we could not
invite them all. So far people like, the EriAm Sisters, Winta Efrem, Betty
Zere, Rahel Ghile, Helen Tesfazgi, Hermon Rezene have come to celebrate our
Independence Day with us in Eritrea.

Q:-Good Job!

Thank you!

Q:-Yared, could you tell us on your future plan?

Inviting different artists to join us in our Independence Day celebrations
would continue. And, actually it is in its infant stage, we have in mind to
organize massive concert in Eritrea in which different artists from all over
Africa would participate. The aim of the concert is to show the wide world
through the eyes of the artists the peace and stability prevailing in
Eritrea, the progress the country has achieved within the short years of
independence under the theme of self-reliance.

Q:-Any thing you want to add?

I would like to convey my sincere thanks to the PFDJ cultural affairs,
NAS-Air, Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Ministry of Information for the
help they provided me through out those years.

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

image002.png
(image/png attachment: image002.png)