Miningiq.com: Mining IQ Member Profile: Tekeste Adhanom from Bisha Mining in Eritrea

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 20:44:46 +0200

Mining IQ Member Profile: Tekeste Adhanom from Bisha Mining in Eritrea

Contributor: Mining IQ
<http://www.miningiq.com/contributors/1906-mining-iq-editorial/> Mining IQ
Editorial
04/06/2014 12:00:00 AM EDT |
<http://www.miningiq.com/regional-focus/articles/mining-iq-member-profile-te
keste-adhanom-from-bish/#commentsSection> 0
http://www.miningiq.com/images/icon_comment.jpg

This month Mining IQ caught up with Tekeste Adhanom, who is Security
Superintendent with Bisha Mining in Eritrea, Africa. Tekeste works in an
incredibly interesting role, for an unusual company. Thanks for taking the
time to tell us about yourself Tekeste!

Q: How did you end up getting into the mining industry?

Though mining companies are prevailing, Bisha mining is the sole active
mining company in the country and I joined it 2 years ago. I was looking for
a job and I got the opportunity to be part of the team.

Q: What is the best aspect of working in the sector? Is it the work, the
people, the technology, the career development?

All the four factors you named (the work, the people, the Technology and the
career) are best aspects of working in the sector, because:

a. During the Italian colonial era there were some mining companies,
however, neither the people nor the country benefited from the outcomes.
Currently, though in an initial stage; but in an organized manner mining
companies are flourishing. Thus the work is new experience but interesting
career to work with, namely the experiences which we are acquiring from the
state-of-the-art, job creation and beneficiary remunerations, working
culture such like raising safety attitude, interdependence along the
assembly line of production, environmental and social concerns and
precautions, community relations, T&D, etc. all these experiences are new
strengthening forces to the labor market of the country and reinforcing the
national economy.

b. Working with diversified and highly experienced workforce from
various countries with different cultures and experiences enrich attitude,
culture, and career, for which will expedite the know-how and competency of
national employees.

c. As newly introduced industry in the country, hence, we (nationals)
are acquainting ourselves with the state-of-the-art, the art of Pit
structures and safety standards, adopt safety cultures and precautionary
measures, time management and the culture of hard working, contemporary
administrative and management works, Engineering and HME workmanship,
geological and exploration activities, environmental management, efficiency
and effectiveness, etc. Thanks to my company with all required standards and
supplies, highly dedicated to safety and Health standards, environmental and
social concerns-indeed is a University of Engineering, Mining and
management.

d. Obviously starting working in a totally new domain, until you make
up with all requirements, skills and standards is bit challenging and
hectic, because the profession is not quick time career but of years of
dedicated acquisitions and hard working. However, so far so good, very
interesting career, beneficiary and inspiring for which I am contended,
indeed I am looking to adopt other skill within the sphere such like in
Process Plant.

Q: What would your top tip or word of caution be to someone looking to get
into the industry?

Thanks to the National Institute of Science and Technology, it has opened up
a Mining department. Me and my alike are encouraging the youth to study
mining because there are plenty of opportunities in the mining sector.
Whereas to employees to behave responsibly and ethically, feel ownership,
keen to learn and integrate, accept and respect diversity, and to promote
responsible commitments and good citizenship.

Q: What do you enjoy most about your specific role?

Ensuring safer working conditions, protect company's interests, respecting
humanity, remunerations standards and accommodation privileges, and related
set ups (gym, entertainment centers, canteen) are some of the factors for
which I am grateful and enjoying working with the Bisha mining workforce.

Q: What is the most exciting change or development in mining right now?

My company, Bisha mining is currently the only active operational company
within the country, however, there is another project hopefully will be in
production next year (Zara mining project), whereas dozens of exploration
activities are underway for which will expand the sector to a lucrative
industry that will contribute significant inputs to national GDP in the near
future.

Q: What do you get out of being a Mining IQ member?

As I mentioned, as it is a new career and profession which requires
sustainable education and insight, to enrich my role and overcome my
responsibilities professionally, I believe I have to cope up with the
continuous developments and progressive inputs of the mining sector. Thus I
will certainly benefit from your rich mining experiences worldwide, deepen
my attitude and competence, and inspire me to introduce new measures to my
role and responsibilities as well as relevant activities (safety,
environmental and social concerns).

image003.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image003.jpg)

image004.jpg