(African Executive) President Isayas' Independence Day Address

From: Merhawie <merhawie_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 07:08:57 -0700

*http://www.africanexecutive.com/modules/magazine/articles.php?article=7871&magazine=500
<http://www.africanexecutive.com/modules/magazine/articles.php?article=7871&magazine=500>*

Eritrea: Resilience for Progress

 The independence and sovereignty of peoples have their own distinct
attributes and peculiarities. In the same token, the independence and
sovereignty of the people of Eritrea has its own special flavour and
significance. All the peoples of Africa possess their own distinct history,
for which they take pride. But all the countries presently recognized as
sovereign political entities took shape at the end of the 19th century with
the advent and expansion of European colonialism.

In this context and for the geo-strategic exigencies of the time, Eritrea
was seen as a gateway in the colonial scramble in northeast Africa. Hence
it became one of the first countries that were constituted under colonial
rule. It underwent a rapid socio-economic transformation until the eruption
of the Second World War in the context of the prevailing schemes of
colonial expansion. The history of Eritrean resistance to colonialism
within the milieu of this imposed process of transformation is a narrative
of civilized heroism that evokes national pride.

The geo-strategic place and importance of Eritrea and its people did not
alter after the end of the Second World War in spite of profound changes in
the global order. The new global order characterized by the “Cold War”
should have recognized the independence and sovereignty of the Eritrean
people. But they opted to put Eritrea under “protection” in order to imbue
justification and pave the way for the sinister plot that they had in mind.
Indeed, this was later revealed in the explicit pronouncement: “that
independent Eritrea would not serve our global strategic interests.’

In the short period of “British Protection,” even the infrastructure that
was essentially built to enhance colonial rule was willfully destroyed. The
various political subterfuges that were conceived to obliterate Eritrean
national identity are indeed fresh in our collective memories. The
resistance that the people of Eritrea waged in those times was, as ever,
characterized by inspiring heroism.

The new modus operandi of predatory domination during the era of the “Cold
War” was not through direct colonial rule as in the preceding times. This
was now carried out through proxies. The US, which was one of the
superpowers in that era, thus ensured the annexation of Eritrea through
surrogates who were at its beck and call in order to advance its
international and regional strategies of dominance and monopoly. The crimes
perpetrated to stifle through brute military force the expressed wishes of
the Eritrean people for independence is too fresh in our memories to merit
elaboration. The former Soviet Union too joined the fray and extended
succour to the military offensives that were unleashed in the latter
decades. The resistance and struggle that the Eritrean people waged during
the Cold War, at the time of colonial expansion through local surrogates,
was unparalleled constituting the climax of its history of struggle,
heroism and national pride.

The independence that the people of Eritrea achieved in 1991 and whose 23rd
Anniversary we are celebrating is but the history of the relentless
struggle; of challenges and resistance for almost 100 years; against
successive colonial rulers and their puppets. That is why the tone and
flavour of our independence celebrations assume particular significance and
are sources of immense national pride.

In the past 23 years too, and in spite of end of the Cold War and unfolding
dynamic global changes, the defunct dream of domination and hegemony of the
United States which pretends to be the “sole super power” has not been
altered. At a time when the Eritrean people had barely attained respite
with the independence of the country and embarked on nation building with
earnest, new machinations were woven to foment conflict and crises in order
to stifle nascent stability and economic growth and to hold them hostage.
As a consequence, “conflict on territorial waters with Yemen” followed by
“border conflict in Badme” were set in motion. When these two events were
settled through arbitral processes, “the border dispute with Djibouti” was
concocted. All these subterfuges did not mollify the appetite of those bent
on domination and monopoly.

In order to prevent the Eritrean people from seeking justice and resisting
the occupation of its sovereign lands and to silence its voice, a sanctions
resolution was passed in 2009 under the umbrella of the UN Security
Council. This was another manifestation in the chain of predatory and
unwarranted hostility. This is in addition to intense and unremitting acts
of subversion comprising of military, political, diplomatic, economic as
well as human-trafficking ploys that are accompanied by psychological
warfare. The central aim of these concerted hostile acts is to weaken all
the endowments of the Eritrean people and vanquish its resistance.

The resistance of the Eritrean people has not succumbed to these
machinations in the face of the declared war for almost 20 years now. On
the contrary, it has been consolidated and reinforced. Indeed, all these
machinations have increasingly been exposed and are dissipating with time.
This has, in turn, induced further frustration in the architects of
adversity and hostility. The frantic vilification campaigns that are woven
daily and the vain sabre rattling epitomize these frustrations. The heroic
and emboldening resistance the Eritrea people have carried out in the last
twenty years is thus part and parcel of 100 years of history of
unparalleled resilience and resolve.

Against this backdrop of the history of resistance of the Eritrean people
for liberation, dignity and sovereignty, we have strived, in the past
twenty years, to pursue the task of nation building within the desired
framework and identified priorities without being derailed or becoming
hostage to all the hostilities and provocations and without slacking our
efforts for the liberation of our sovereign territories.

The real meaning of liberation and independence is its translation to
sustainable progress and the improvement in the quality of life and
people’s living standards. This can only be secured through relentless
developmental endeavours. Hence, the priority of our priorities is to lay
robust foundations for the rehabilitation and growth of the devastated
economy. This does not, and should not, constitute of white-elephant or
pompous projects that are implemented for propaganda or public relation
stints.

The serious developmental projects and programmes we pursue must ensure
sustainable growth. They must be characterized by extensive and equitable
spatial outreach; and, uphold citizenship equality rights while not
creating imbalances of access and opportunity. The pillars of this
developmental drive are agriculture, manufacturing and services. That the
progress we have achieved in laying the robust foundations for a
sustainable economic order is substantial and that it is growing, sector by
sector, with time in terms of quantity, quality and capacity can be gauged
easily by the facts on the ground. That its pace and momentum will increase
is also evident. Indeed, this is why we are witnessing a surge in frantic
hostilities in a futile bid to stem its progress.

The enhancement of human capital is decisive, in addition to other
endowments, for ensuring sustainable developmental growth. In this context,
it is imperative to strengthen and bolster slackening discipline as well as
educational and professional training to ensure the requisite acquisition
of knowledge, technical expertise and work experiences. This is an urgent
and timely task that requires focused attention.

Within the framework of our tasks of nation building, the political
infrastructure assumes a vital role as a vehicle to advance our overall
objectives. We have gleaned important lessons and experiences from the
hostile external schemes aimed at derailing our nation-building endeavours
and processes. A constitution drafting process will be launched in order to
chart out the political road map for the future governmental structure.

I would like to express my deep appreciation for the Eritrean people who
made independence a reality through relentless struggle, sacrifice, and by
overcoming all hurdles; to the people of Eritrea who are now engaged in the
nation-building process day and night in a spirit of patriotic devotion to
the homeland; including mothers who are immersed in hard developmental work
while carrying their infants on their backs,; and to the members of the
Defense Forces.

Glory to our Martyrs! Victory to the Masses!

By H.E. Isaias Afewerki
President of Eritrea.