Capitaleritrea.com: Remarks by Eritrea's Head of National Security during Human Trafficking Conference in Sudan

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 12:56:38 +0200

Remarks by Eritrea’s Head of National Security during Human Trafficking
Conference in Sudan

By <http://www.capitaleritrea.com/author/patrick/> Editorial Team,
capitaleritrea news, June 3, 2014 in
<http://www.capitaleritrea.com/category/news/eritrea/> Eritrea |
<http://www.capitaleritrea.com/remarks-by-eritreas-head-of-national-security
-during-human-trafficking-conference-in-sudan/#disqus_thread> 8 Comments

Remarks by Brigadier General Abraha Kassa, Head of the Office of National
Security of the State of Eritrea at the Preparatory Meeting for the Regional
Conference on Human Trafficking and Smuggling in the Horn of Africa, 21 May
2014, Khartoum, Sudan

Let me start my remarks by thanking the Govern-ment and people of the
sisterly Republic of theSudan for their traditional warm hospitalityextended
to me and my delegation since ourarrival in this beautiful city of
Khartoum.I would also like, at the outset, to express Eritrea’sappreciation
to the AU-led initiative to combathuman trafficking and smuggling in the
Horn ofAfrica Region. This preparatory meeting is one ina serious of
activities that have been going onsince the inception of the initiative in
2012. Mycountry has been actively participating andcontributing to the
process from the start.Following this, I will try to briefly share
Eritrea’sviews in regard to the problem of human traffick-ing and smuggling,
the efforts undertaken byEritrea to combat and prevent these heinouscrimes,
and some ideas on the way forward.

The Challenge of Human Trafficking and Smuggling in Eritrea

§ The migration of Eritreans is not a phenome-non driven by an economic
pull factor as it isusually the case in our contemporary times.This is in
fact a deliberate case of humantrafficking conceived and orchestrated by
theUnited States with other collaborating states,organizations and agencies.

§ The scheme is politically motivated and car-ried out under a meticulous
plan. It formspart and parcel of the war declared againstthe people and
nation of Eritrea.

§ The main purpose of the scheme is todegrade Eritrea’s human resources
andcapital, demonize the Government of Eritreaand undermine its efforts to
seek justice andremove the occupation of its sovereignterritories. The
transparent ploy is designedto stifle Eritrea’s voice and deflect
interna-tional attention from Ethiopia’s breach ofinternational law and
infringement ofEritrea’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Eritrea’s Efforts to Combat and Prevent Human Trafficking

§ The Government of Eritrea has deployed a multi-faceted approach to combat
and prevent humantrafficking and smuggling as well as to assist the victims.

§ The people and Government of Eritrea haveredoubled their diplomatic,
political, andeconomic efforts to foil the hostile activitiesorganized by
the U.S. Administration and its collaborators.

§ Awareness raising – Eritrea has undertaken a comprehensive campaign on
the national media and other public fora strongly featuring trafficking
victims, their families and commu-nities.

§ Prosecution of criminals – Eritrean Govern-ment law enforcement agencies
and local communities are actively working in identify-ing and apprehending
the perpetrators of these crimes and bring them to justice.

§ Support to victims – Eritrea opposes any stigmatization of victims of
human trafficking and provides them with all possible assistance. Eritrean
diplomatic missions and communities in the countries of destination provide
them with consular services and other assistances they may require.

§ Eritrea has been consulting with the Sudan, Egypt and other relevant
countries on migra-tion and other related issues.

The Government of Eritrea has made several diplomatic demarches and sent
official letters to protest and oppose and seek remedies to this
transgression.

In 2004, the GOE sent demarches to the UNHCR and a number of European coun
tries who were instigating the mass migra-tion of the members of the Kunama
ethnic group under the false pretext that they rep-resented a suppressed
minority group.

The GOE has likewise sent letters to Libya-during the Qhadaffi years- to
Egypt, Israel and the Sudan to protest and expose the network of
intelligence agencies mired in this deplorable act. President Isaias has
also sent a letter to the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon requesting the UN
to launch a comprehen-sive investigation of the act through an independent,
neutral and transparent body.

At the Extraordinary Session of the AU Assembly held in October 2013,
Eritrea called on the AUC to study the root causes of the problem, and
investigate the criminal networks in order to take collective action at the
continental level.

The Way Forward

§ The crime of human trafficking that is perpetrated against the people and
Govern-ment of Eritrea for ulterior political objectives should not be
underrated or downplayed. The crime must stop and those culpable must be
held to account.

§ The transnational nature of human traffick-ing and smuggling makes it
imperative for states- origin, transit and host- to cooperate in the
investigation of the criminal activities and in the prosecution of the
criminals. Regional and international organizations, such as the AU and UN
also have the responsibility to utilize their wide presence to collect
information and undertake serious investigations into the crimes.

§ With this in mind, the GOE regrets that to-date there has not been any
noticeable activity either by AU or UN in way of undertaking the
investigations requested by Eritrea. I would like to use this opportunity to
reiterate Eritrea’s call on UN and AU to investigate the crimes of human
trafficking and smuggling in order to bring the criminals to justice. Mr.
Chairman, In conclusion, I wish to express my delegation’s belief that the
discussion we will have over these two days will lay a solid basis for the
Regional Meeting on the subject planned to be held in the near future

Thank You!

General_abreha_kassa
<http://www.capitaleritrea.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Eritrea-Map.gif>
Eritrea