Madote.com: Ambassador Girma Asmerom's Speech at the 17th NAM Ministerial Conference

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:46:26 +0200

 <http://www.madote.com/2014/05/ambassador-girma-asmeroms-speech-at.html>
Ambassador Girma Asmerom's Speech at the 17th NAM Ministerial Conference

Written By Admin on May 31, 2014 | 2:39 PM

6 <http://www.madote.com/2014/05/ambassador-girma-asmeroms-speech-at.html>
comments

STATEMENT DELIVERED BY AMBASSADOR GIRMA ASMEROM PERMANENTREPRESENTATIVE OF
ERITREA TO THE UNITED NATIONS HEAD OF ERITREAN DELEGATION AT THE XVII
MINISTERIAL MEETING OF THE NON-ALIGNED MOVEMENT

ALGIERS, ALGERIA

26-29 MAY 2014

Mr. Chairman,
Excellences,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to thank the people and government of Algeria for the warm
hospitality and commend them for successfully organizing this Conference. I
would also like to congratulate the Islamic Republic of Iran, the current
Chair, for its tireless efforts and leadership in achieving a consensus
Final Document.

Algeria has a special place in the Hearts and Minds of the people and
government of Eritrea. Consistent with the values and principles of
Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), the people and successive governments of Algeria
are one of those countries who supported the 30-years armed struggle of the
Eritrean people for independence and self-determination. Let me once again
thank the people and government of Algeria for their support to the Eritrean
people who celebrated their 23rd independence day last week on May 24th
.
Mr. Chairman,

As much as Algeria has a special place in the Hearts and Minds of the people
and government of Eritrea, it would be remise on me not to mention the
significance of this beautiful city of Algiers for the people of Eritrea and
Ethiopia. Fourteen years ago in the year 2000, under the able leadership of
President Abdelaziz Bouteflika of Algeria, the leaders of Eritrea and
Ethiopia agreed to solve their border dispute through a Final and Binding
Arbitration Mechanism. The Algiers Agreement was guaranteed by the United
Nations and the African Union as well as witnessed by the US and EU. The
Agreement gave full and sole authority to an independent Arbitration
Commission to Delimit and Demarcate the boundaries of the two countries. The
Eritrea Ethiopia Boundary Commission (EEBC) was composed of five prominent
arbitration judges, of which two were chosen by Eritrea two by Ethiopia and
the President by the former UN Secretary-General Mr. Kofi Anan.

The EEBC, after deliberating on the issue for a year and half has
unanimously awarded the disputed territory, including the town of Badme to
Eritrea. It pronounced its Final and Binding Delimitation Decision in 2002
and its Demarcation Decision in 2007. The map determining the exact boundary
lines with clear coordinates is given by the EEBC to both countries. It is
also deposited in the United Nations. Therefore, today there is no border
dispute between Eritrea and Ethiopia. What we have is Ethiopia's occupation
of sovereign Eritrean territory, including the town of Badme. Once again,
the disputed territory is unanimously awarded by the EEBC to Eritrea. Hence,
there is no need of dialogue between Eritrea and Ethiopia on this matter. It
must be underlined that the Algiers Agreement is product of Dialogue and
Mediation process that culminated with a judicial settlement. Final and
Binding means; Final and Binding.

No country, neither big nor small, under any justification or pretext should
be allowed to occupy the sovereign territory of another country. It must not
be tolerated. It must be condemned and rejected. Occupation can be solved
only by evacuation or withdrawal of the occupying party from the territory
it occupies. There is no other option. For the sake of the people of Eritrea
and Ethiopia and stability of the region, the Government of Ethiopia must be
urged to respect its treaty obligations and to unconditionally and
immediately withdraw from sovereign Eritrean territories, including the town
Badme. There is no rational or justification for Ethiopian government to
continue its occupation of sovereign Eritrean territories under the pretext
of Dialogue after the EEBC has clearly Delimited and Demarcated the boundary
between Eritrea and Ethiopia.

Mr. Chairman,

As to the issue of Dialogue between governments of Eritrea and Ethiopia, I
want to reiterate Eritrea's unflinching stance and commitment that if the
Government of Ethiopia withdraw from our sovereign territories, including
the town of Badme in the morning; the Eritrean government is ready, not
today but yesterday, to dialogue, with the Ethiopian government in the
afternoon at any place at any time and on any issue of common interest.

Mr. Chairman,

The Non-Aligned Movement is still an important force in international
relations. Our real strength never relied on major powers political and
diplomatic confrontation but on the principles we all cherished and
advocated since the inception of our Movement. The principles and values of
NAM are as valid today as they were half a century ago. Respect to
sovereignty, non-interference, non-aggression and respect for international
law and obligations are the overarching principles that never withered even
with the passage of time. That is why Eritrea finds the theme of this
Conference: "Enhancing Solidarity for Peace and Development" relevant and
meaningful.

Mr. Chairman,

A peaceful, justice and prosperous world remains a distant dream to be
realized. Seven decades after we vowed to save succeeding generations from
wars, deprivations and injustices, many of our countries continue to suffer
from marginalization and poverty. This is primarily because the institutions
established to galvanize collective action against war, poverty, and
injustice are undermined by a few powerful countries and are often
manipulated to serve and advance their agenda of domination and
exploitation. It is a well-known fact for all of us that some permanent
members of the UN Security Council continue to abuse the mandate of the
Council by promoting their agenda and interests. They use it as an
instrument of coercion and intimidation. They threaten and punish countries
that reject their hegemonic agenda. They label countries with independent
political stance as "Spoilers" and "Destabilizers". They use all types of
mechanism and methods of domination and intimidation. Sanction is one of
them.

Sanctions whether we call them smart, selective, targeted or comprehensive;
and whether they are imposed unilaterally or multilaterally affect the
people not the governments. They perpetuate poverty and marginalization. The
negative impacts of unjustified multilateral and unilateral sanctions
imposed against a number of NAM countries are there for anyone to judge.
Imposing any type of sanctions on any developing countries contradicts the
objectives of global development agenda and goals, be it MDGs, Post-2015
Development Agenda or SDGs, whose main purpose is the eradication of
poverty. It also goes against the letter and spirit of NAM's principles and
purposes of solidarity as well as the UN Charter which clearly reaffirms
respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of
all countries. It also contradicts NAM's principle of solidarity. Imposing
any types of sanctions against any developing country must be rejected and
challenged by all of us. Let us maintain the spirit and letter of solidarity
and unity of NAM. Let us practice what we preach.

Mr. Chairman,

Another area where political and diplomatic manipulation is advanced and
perpetuated by the dominant powers is in the area of Human Rights. Promotion
and protection of human rights has been a core tenant of our Movement. Human
rights issue can only be addressed through comprehensive and dialogue-based
approach, with objectivity, impartiality, non-selectivity and transparency
as the main guiding principles. However, we are increasingly witnessing the
politicization and manipulation of human rights mechanisms for political
pressure and regime change agenda. Countries who rejected the creation of
the UN Human Rights Council are using the Council for their geopolitical
interest and agenda. It is unfortunately to see that some members of the NAM
have become a willing accomplice of this destructive scheme. In the Final
Document that we have just adopted; we rejected country specific resolutions
on human rights. In this sprit, we must be united and be vocal in all
multilateral forums stressing the importance of dialogue and cooperation
over confrontation. Naming and shaming approach must be rejected by all of
us. Once again, let us maintain the spirit and letter of solidarity and
unity.

Mr. Chairman,

We must rise beyond our narrow national interests and short term political
and diplomatic expediencies. The collective ideals of NAM must be respected.
Strengthening our solidarity will make us partners, rather than subordinates
in international forums, including the United Nations. Allow me to conclude
by reaffirming Eritrea's commitment to the principles and ideals of the
Non-Aligned Movement.

I Thank You, Mr. Chairman

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UStLAhjFO4E/U4pLLUpEguI/AAAAAAAAF0M/fHPiGwIwOxI/s
1600/AMBASSADOR+GIRMA+ASMEROM.jpg>