(the Quad-City Times) Meb's unexpected warm-up race: a family affair

From: Yemane Abselom <yemane.abselom_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:32:56 -0400

Source:
http://qctimes.com/news/local/meb-s-unexpected-warm-up-race-a-family-affair/article_8c85d569-ac42-5d3d-b869-b636c584663e.html

Meb's unexpected warm-up race: a family affair
[image: 072514-jr-bix-jc15]
Buy Now
<http://qctimes.mycapture.com/mycapture/remoteimage.asp?backtext=Return%20to%20photo&backurl=&thumbpath=http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/qctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/fe/4fefefbb-d3ae-56bb-a3e7-b000960ad275/53d337192d82a.preview-699.jpg&previewpath=http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/qctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/fe/4fefefbb-d3ae-56bb-a3e7-b000960ad275/53d337192d82a.preview-699.jpg&pricingsheetid=2085&notes=53d337186413d.hires.jpg>

Jeff Cook, QUAD-CITY TIMES

Two-time Quad-City Times Bix 7 winner Meb Keflezighi walks with two of his
daughters, Sara, 8, and Fiyori, 6, after they competed Friday night in the
Alcoa Jr. Bix 7.
July 25, 2014 7:17 pm • By Jack Cullen
<http://qctimes.com/users/profile/Jack%20Cullen>
(0) Comments
<http://qctimes.com/news/local/meb-s-unexpected-warm-up-race-a-family-affair/article_8c85d569-ac42-5d3d-b869-b636c584663e.html#comments>

Boston Marathon champion Meb Keflezighi had not planned to run at all
Friday before competing in today’s 40th Quad-City Times Bix 7.

That was the plan, at least, until his 6-year-old daughter, Fiyori, asked
him if he would run with her in the 17th annual Alcoa Jr. Bix 7.

“I don’t know if I’m allowed,” he responded. “I don’t want to get
disqualified.”

But he couldn’t resist.

Following the pre-race national anthem Friday night, Meb escorted Fiyori
and his oldest daughter, Sara, 8, to the starting line.

As chants of “Go, Meb, go!” began to circulate around the two-time Bix 7
champion, Meb offered some strategic advice to his children.

 “If you want to go hard, that’s fine,” he said. “You just have to watch
out for the others and dodge them if you want to run hard.”

Sara had a different idea in mind.

“Daddy, I want you to go your fastest,” she replied.

“That’s tomorrow,” he said. “I’m timing you both so this is for the
bragging rights.”

In total, Meb ran 1.5 miles with his daughters up and down 4th Street.

“You guys tire me out,” he said. “That’s my only run today.”

In the meantime, Meb’s wife, Yordanos Asgedom, watched their 4-year-old
daughter, Yohana, run the 70-yard sprint along 3rd Street.

“She (Yohana) ran really fast,” Asgedom said while enjoying a hot dog after
the event.

Sporting her medal, Sara watched her father and Fiyori finish their run.

“I didn’t do this for nothing,” Sara said. “I did it for the medal and the
popsicle at the end.”

Breathing hard, the girls were ready to relax.

"Life is hard, guys. Nothing should be easy,” Meb told them.

Popsicle and hot dog in hand, Fiyori didn’t take her eyes off the medal
around her neck.

“Last time I did show and tell, my dad brought in a real gold medal,” she
said. “Maybe next time I should bring in this medal.”