Dailymail.co.uk: 'I was playing outside when my mother told me I would marry'..............

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:36:52 +0200

'I was playing outside when my mother told me I would marry': Ethiopian
child bride - wed at 10 and pregnant at 13 - on the moment her world changed
forever

* Alemtsahye Gebrekidan was 10 when she married a boy of 16
* She later became pregnant and gave birth to her son at the age of 13
* Her husband was killed fighting in Ethiopia's civil war when she was
14
* Now 38, she lives in London and campaigns against child marriage

By <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Ruth+Styles>
Ruth Styles

Alemtsahye Gebrekidan was 10 when her childhood came to an abrupt end. 'I
was playing outside and my mum called me inside to the house,' she remembers
of the day her world changed forever.

'She said "you're going to marry". I was surprised and I cried but I didn't
say anything to them [her parents].' Her wedding, to a boy of 16, took place
just two months later.

Shocking though it might seem, her experience is by no means unique.
According to World Health Organisation figures, 14.2 million girls under the
age of 15 are forced into marriage each year.....

Read it in Words below: