Siliconafrica.com: European Caste System

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:43:31 +0200

European Caste System

By: <http://www.siliconafrica.com/author/admin/> Mawuna Remarque KOUTONIN

Monday, July 28th, 2014 at 9:12 am.

I feel a lot of pain each time I visit Europe or the US.

I see African people victim of widespread racism, kept in
"good-for-black-people" low status jobs or elevated into false stardom with
some minority quota or nice-to-have.

The few successful professionals are not enough to hide the harsh reality of
millions of people crushed by daily racism, a caste system ideologically and
structurally maintained by the local populations against the Africans.

I can't live anymore in a caste society, where skin color and family
background determine the fate of individuals regardless of their aptitude,
and potential.

Every time I visit Europe, I do my best to shop mainly at places which
employ African people in their staff.

Because of the extensive racism in Europe against Africans, I've made it a
matter of honor to spend money with companies which give fair opportunities
to Africans descendants in Europe.

Yesterday afternoon in Paris, I ate in a restaurant which employs mainly
African descendants. Except one cook who was white, all other employees were
black, and the front manager also was a white too.

It's usual, almost a rule, in Europe not to employ black people as manager
or person in visible authority position in order not to set example that
black people could give orders to white people. "These people are only good
to obey" the thinking goes.

The same kind of thinking which derives from the white supremacy thinking
inherited from the 17th centuries is continued to be applied in many MNC
(multinational corporations and NGOs in Africa where often 90% or more of
the employees would be Africans, but the manager or front mangers will be
white.

You'd think NGOs would be different, but they are in the same agenda!

It's very rare to see a black CEO of international NGOs or MNC operating
Africa, even if the possibility to find better qualified managers in the
local market exists, simply because of a continued belief in many parts of
the world about the ability of Africans to self-manage.

<http://www.siliconafrica.com/wp-content/themes/directorypress/thumbs/work-o
f-science.png> work-of-science

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)