Avvenire.it: Interview-Pistelli: "Mandatory dialogue with Eritrea>

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:38:20 +0200

Interview-Pistelli: "Mandatory dialogue with Eritrea>

Paul Lambruschi

July 16, 2014

On the agenda of the presidency of it is written "African migration and
development cooperation." But it reads "emergency landings", because it
means to combat trafficking in human beings and prevent the journeys of
hope. A Lapo Pistelli, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs with
responsibility for Africa tomorrow in Florence chair an informal two-day
summit with the 27 EU ministers of development, explain the proposals
Italian touches, but mostly because 11 days ago met to address the issues
migration and human trafficking Eritrean Isaias Afewerki, the man who in 20
years has transformed Eritrea into a garrison state and rogue isolated from
the international community under the UN embargo and under investigation for
violation of the UN human rights for military service and unlimited. That
is, the causes of the exodus towards the EU.

Q: What does Italy propose to the EU partners in the field of migration?

Of fielding long-term policies that look at the demographics. In 1950,
Europe had three times the population of Africa in 2002, we were on a par,
in 2050 Africa will have three times the population of Europe. In a century,
four generations, the situation has reversed. The one is to have a
structured relationship with this continent.

Q: Which kind?

First, the EU needs to create 500 million in Africa of jobs with sustainable
agriculture and energy. Then we have to stabilize fragile countries and
marked by conflict. To those who object that the presence in the Horn and in
the Central African Republic is a waste of time because they are far away
countries, I answer that they are until they decide to move in their
thousands to seek refuge and salvation elsewhere. Finally, these countries
should be managed with the immigration emergency or leaks resulting from the
collapse of Libya. We need to dialogue with all six countries of the Horn
plus the two transit to manage an unstoppable phenomenon. Europe cannot
tolerate human trafficking which affects Eritreans, Sudanese and Somalis
imprisoned and tortured during the transit from Sudan to Libya.

Q: But what guarantees can you offer the Afewerki regime?

None, but it is the only interlocutor. Among other things, he is in
excellent shape, given what we read about his state of health.

Q: What has he responded on human trafficking? UN accuses members of his
government involvement ...

That there are collusion in Libya and Italy and that you cannot download all
the responsibility on the government. My argument is that a country isolated
and sanctioned in which we look back caning tends to behave irrationally.
Better to try to sign him on the issues. They have huge difficulties, from
September 30 thousand Eritreans have landed on our shores. The policy of
isolation has not borne fruit. My reasoning in meetings with him and with
governments Somalis, Sudanese, Ethiopian and of Djibouti is this: the
African regions have developed economically stabilized. It is their interest
to cooperate with the African Union and the European Union. We start from
the traffic and the fight against corruption of border police, a subject on
which we all agree to sit at a table. In October, a conference will be
convened euro-African, perhaps in Sudan. You cannot converse with strokes of
the UN report.

Q: Nor prevent the entry of the rapporteur on human rights, as does the
Asmara Government. The militarization of forced and unlimited on which the
UN investigates and from which the Eritreans are fleeing in droves arises
from unresolved conflict with Ethiopia. What can Italy do?

The area of contention is Badme Eritrea. The situation then was frozen since
2001. I 'm the first years after returned to Asmara and Ethiopia, the
region's leaders, not sorry my visit. And in Somalia realize the embassy in
the airport area. Italy wants to return to engage in the Horn of Africa
where it lefts a positive legacy.

Q: And in Libya?

We must press the new government to accept the UNHCR and adhere to the
Geneva Convention. It is not easy, 10% of the Libyan economy comes from the
traffic, but there is no choice.

Q: Mogherini Foreign Minister will go to Brussels or not?

It seems to me that things are moving, that the Minister has appreciated in
Europe and that Prime Minister has played his cards well.