Italian delegation led by Deputy Foreign Minister Lapo Pistelli in Asmara with President Isaias

From: Dimtzi Eritrawian Kab German <eritreanvoice.germany_at_googlemail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 02:34:53 +0200

Italian delegation led by Deputy Foreign Minister Lapo Pistelli in Asmara
with President Isaias

By *Ministry of Foreign Affairs*
<http://www.esteri.it/MAE/EN/Sala_stampa/ArchivioNotizie/Comunicati/2014/07/20140701_Pistelli_Gibuti.htm>
 (*Italy*),

“*It ‘s time to start over*” is what deputy Minister Lapo Pistelli said
during his visit to Asmara, the first travel by a politician from the
government
of President of the Republic Oscar Luigi Scalfaro to Eritreasince 1997.

“*I have come here to witness the desire to boost bilateral relations and
try to facilitate a successful reintegration of Eritrea as a responsible
actor in the international community and the fundamental dynamics of
regional stabilization.* ”

The Deputy Minister Pistelli had long work sessions with the Eritrean
Minister of Foreign Affairs Osman Saleh and Advisor to the President,
Yemane Ghebreab, before gathering in a long and in-depth discussion with
President Isaias for the analysis of various relevant bilateral and
international issues of common interest to the two countries.

“I found at my interlocutors great availability and awareness,” said
Pistelli at the conclusion of the meetings. “If we can share in the
partnership, forgetting their respective recriminations that now adhere to
the historical dimension of our relationship and have to stop the current
condition, the potential for Italy and Eritrea are huge and all mutual
benefit.”

Italy is the second largest trading partnerof Eritrea, but the exchange
still hovers negligible levels because of the substantial isolation of
Asmara.

The aim of the visit is precisely to stimulate the availability
of Eritrea to the constructive dialogue with the countries of the region on
the basis of a participation in the stabilization of the Horn of Africa, the
activation of the development policies of the country, with a shared
commitment to the protection of human rights, the fight against terrorism
and transnational crime.

“I have come to turn a path of cooperation on all areas of mutual interest,
in the knowledge that many of the problems of security and migration that
occur to us originate in this part of the region. And to do that I wanted
to clarify personally to President Isaias in Asmara here that Italy is
ready to show a new will, which will certainly enable the mutual confidence
that has been lacking between us for too many decades now. ” (*Software
Translation from Italy*)

- – - -
President Holds Talks With Italian Delegation

.
By *Shabait*
<http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/17425-president-holds-talks-with-italian-delegation->
,

http://www.tesfanews.net/it-s-time-to-start-over-new-relationship-with-eritrea-italy/

*(Asmara, 02 July 2014)* – President Isaias Afwerki today received and held
talks at Denden Hall with an Italian delegation headed by Deputy Foreign
Minister Lapo Pistelli.

In the course of the meeting, both sides exchanged views as regards ways
and means the Eritrean-Italian relations which is anchored on historical
ties and mutual benefits can enter a new phase of development.

They also asserted the readiness of both countries to this end, and agreed
to chart mutual programs of partnership on the basis of the discussion
conducted at the meeting.

Moreover, an agreement was reached between the two countries for both to
collaborate and work in unison as regards promoting peace and stability in
the Horn region.

In the meeting, President Isaias explained to the Italian official
Eritrea’s suggestions regarding developments in the region and the means of
resolving the problems thereof.

Mr. Lapo Pistelli’s visit to Eritrea is taking place at a time when Italy
is chairing the European Union for 6 months.