Allafrica.com: South Sudan Conflict Having Devastating Impact On Education

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue Dec 16 14:29:03 2014

South Sudan Conflict Having Devastating Impact On Education

By Lisa Jones, Plan UK

THE conflict in South Sudan is continuing to have a devastating impact on
children's education one year after violence first erupted, warns charity
Plan International.

At least 1.7 million school-age children are out of education in the
country. Many have had to flee their homes and school buildings are either
damaged or being used to house the displaced.

Around 9,000 children have become soldiers, according to the national
education in emergency cluster.

Before the current emergency, literacy rates in places like Jonglei state,
were only 15 per cent - but there are fears the conflict could set education
back even further.

"The current emergency has further run down an already insufficient
education system in South Sudan," says Roland Angerer, Regional Director for
Plan International in Eastern and Southern Africa.

"If the situation continues unchecked these children will not only lose
valuable years of study, they are at high risk of early marriage, child
labour and exploitation.

"One lost generation is enough. Only education will give them the tools and
opportunities to grow up and build a better and more peaceful society," he
adds.

Most of the 1,200 schools in Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile States, have been
closed since the crisis began. In Duk County, Jonglei State, all 20 primary
schools are closed, leaving an estimated 10,000 children out of school and
160 teachers without a job.

Many schools have been damaged or destroyed by fighting. In Leer County of
Unity State alone, 15 out of 36 schools were burned and remain unusable.
Since the conflict erupted, at least 91 schools have been occupied by armed
groups or used as shelters by the displaced.

Like many other children, 11-year old Beatrice had to flee her home. Now she
attends a school built by Plan in Malatuk, Lakes State.

"I came from Bor with my relatives. Before the war, I used to study in a
good classroom but when the war started our classrooms were destroyed, our
teachers ran away," she says.

"My relatives and I ran to this place. When we came here, I was told to go
to school, but I could not see any school because there were only trees, I
had nothing to write on. We used to write on the ground and study under the
trees.

"Now with the classroom it feels safe and it looks like a school. The
problem is the classrooms are few and we have to learn in shifts. I wish we
had more classes," she adds.

Beatrice's school is one of four constructed by Plan in Awerial County,
which along with child friendly spaces, have benefitted 5,000 children.

Meanwhile, with the World Food Programme, Plan has provided food rations to
51,000 children in more than 50 schools in Eastern Equatoria and Lakes
State.

Plan is supporting the campaign Education Cannot Wait, aimed at raising
awareness and encouraging donor agencies to dedicate more funds for the
issue in South Sudan.