Remembering Bet-Ghiorgis

From: <HBokure_at_aol.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:48:56 -0500

Dear friends,

The fantastic fairy tale: "Midsummer Nights Dream" as told by Shakespeare
reminds me "Bet Ghiorgis," the famous resort site located on
Asmara-Massawa road. Like that Oberon's and Titania's dwelling place, it was so
jungle, so amorous, so fearful by night. In order to ward off the imagined little
spirits at night fall, I used to sing as the following:-

If you meet a fairy
Don't run away
They would not hurt you
But they only want to play.

It is the place where I grew up like those dreamy and studious (shemdida)
kids of the golden sixties, the most inspiring decade that produced a
generation of young writers, artists, musicians, spirituals, comedians,
sportsmen and revolutionaries who were driving forces in the Eritrean liberation
movements.

 It is a long story indeed!

As for now, let me share with you one of my favorite poems composed the
day I joined Dehai. That was in the year of 1995. I hope the younger
generation Eritreans as well as the older ones would enjoy reading it. It is time
to reflect as the year 2014 is close to an end. In the meantime, I wish you
 a happy Christmas and a peaceful new year.

"Bet-Ghiorgis"

Bet-Ghiorgis.....
Once in this jungle
And a resort site