Shabait.com: "Iocca Carrying Out Sensational Surgeries For Children With Cardiac Disease In Eritrea" Dr. Andreas Urban- Part I

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri Dec 12 17:11:21 2014

<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/18635-iocca-carrying-out-sensational-
surgeries-for-chilndren-with-cardiac-disease-in-eritrea-dr-andreas-urban-par
t-i-> "Iocca Carrying Out Sensational Surgeries For Children With Cardiac
Disease In Eritrea" Dr. Andreas Urban- Part I

Thursday, 11 December 2014 10:15 | Written by Yosief Hailemariam |

Articles <http://www.shabait.com/component/content/section/1> - Q
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a> & A

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/fruit/1-dec-12-articles-qa.jpgDr.
Andreas Urban

International teams of cardiac surgeons have continued to visit Eritrea and
conduct extensive operations for Eritrean children with cardiac diseases.
ARCHEMED, a German group of surgeons, is among those teams which have been
very keen to come to the country with an aim of alleviating the dire
consequences of cardiac disease. An excerpt of a brief interview with Dr.
Andreas Urban, Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon, highlights the endeavors that have
been exerted by the international medical teams, especially the ARCHEMED
group. Below is the gist of his briefings about the successful cardiac
surgeries they have so far carried out.

Q: Could you introduce us with yourself please?

I am Dr. Andreas Urban. I am German and I came from Germany too. My
profession is pediatric cardiac surgeon. I was the director of the pediatric
German Heart Center for many years. Since I am retired, I am organizing
cardiac surgery for Eritrea. In fact, I have started it early in 1997 when I
was first here in Eritrea. Then, since 2002, we are performing cardiac
operations on Eritrean children at International Operation Center for
Children in Asmara (IOCCA). Moreover, I am the one to organize all surgical
activities in the center (IOCCA), look after the equipments, teach the
nurses, and observe that the patients are operated in a way that they not
only survive but have a normal quality of life.

Q: How was IOCCA came to existence?

I was first here in Eritrea in 1997. At that time, I was asked by the late
Minister of Health, His Excellency Salih Meaki, whether I would be able to
do cardiac surgery here in Eritrea. And I saw the different operation
theaters in Mekane-Hiwet and Halibet Hospitals. And I thought that this was
not possible because cardiac surgery is a very sensitive performance.
Therefore, you need good technical equipments and trained staff. And I said
to him ''no, I can't do cardiac surgery here, it is impossible.'' At that
time the late minister gave us a building at the heart of Orotta Hospital
and asked me to train people. After hat within three years, i.e. 1999-2002,
we renovated the building, we have changed all the old equipment with the
new once and built the lab. Finally, in 2002, we succeeded in establishing a
cardiac surgery center, International Operation Center for Children in
Asmara (IOCCA). Then we made our first operation center for children in
Eritrea with our German personnel at IOCCA. Ever since, we have slowly
picked it up the number of operations per year to not less than hundred. I
think we have the best equipment you can have for children at the IOCCA. In
addition, we have now photovoltaic panel on the roof, so we can produce our
own electricity. This is very important because in the past we had many
power cuts during operations and that is dangerous to the children.
Therefore, with the help of our donor partners like ARCHEMED and others we
are standing on our own feet and by the end of this year we will be more or
less a self-sufficient center for cardiac surgery.

Q: What is ARCHEMED and what is its aim?

ARCHEMEDis a German NGO. It was founded in 2010 and is looking after
children in need. In fact it is called 'ARCHEMED Doctors for children in
need'. In Eritrea the medical care for children with severe diseases is
difficult. So, we decided to come to Eritrea to mount an operation center,
with medical experts from different countries coming to operate on Eritrean
children whatever diseases they may have. Accordingly, the aim of ARCHEMED
in Eritrea is indeed medical care for Eritrean children who are sick. Thus,
one of the highlight of this program is open cardiac surgery. The ARCHEMED
group in Eritrea comes here for two purposes; one to treat the Eritrean
children with heart problem and second to teach Eritrean doctors and nurses
about cardiac surgery. My team (ARCHEMED) has about 18 professionals and
they come to Eritrea twice a year and perform open and closed operations.
Similarly, the other three groups - two from Italy and one from Switzerland
come once a year and carry out successful operations.

Q: What could you comment about the healthcare progress in Eritrea?

I think Eritrea is spending a lot of money to improve healthcare systems. As
far as my knowledge is concerned, Eritrea has the best program of
vaccination in Africa. Moreover, Eritrea has successfully reached the
Millennium Development Goals ahead of 2015. So, there is commendable
progress in the healthcare of Eritrea. Parallel with the overall healthcare
services that have been provided in the country, the IOCCA has, from
scratch, become a well established center for cardiac surgery in developing
countries.

Q: What encouraged you to come to Eritrea and do cardiac surgery for the
Eritrean children?

First, I like my job (cardiac surgery in children) very much. Second in
1997, I became aware that there was
nohttp://www.shabait.com/images/stories/fruit/1-dec-12-articles-qa1.jpg
cardiac surgery in Eritrea and as a consequence all children who had cardiac
problem died eventually. You know that with cardiac diseases Eritrean
children have no future but to die. Most of them die in the first two or
three years of their life. So, the needs and the problems in Eritrea were so
evident. Thus, decision was not very difficult to come since doing cardiac
surgery means saving many lives of Eritrean children. That's why we had to
do something, because we couldn't let people die due to lack of treatment.
As a result the first step was to take Eritrean children to Germany and
operate them in my center. But, taking children to Germany for operation was
very expensive for it costs about fifty thousand Euros and so on. So we
could not do many operations and the follow up was not good. Therefore we
rather decided to invest much money in Eritrea in the new center and do
cardiac surgery here in the country. Hence, coming to Eritrea and
establishing quality cardiac surgery center for the Eritrean children is
extremely rewarding. On top of that the Minister of Health, Her Excellency
Amna Nurhussien, is supporting this project very much.

Q: So far, how many Eritrean children underwent surgery?

In about a dozen years back, all the four teams together have operated over
one thousand Eritrean children at the IOCCA. Half of them are operated by
the German group (ARCHEMED) and the rest half by the other three groups. For
instance, this year my group (ARCHEMED) has operated about 55 children. And
the other three groups will operate from 45-50 patients this month. So,
yearly not less than a hundred Eritrean children have been undergoing
operation from cardiac disease by all the groups. That means, annually
hundred Eritrean children would have died without such medical assistance
lest what awaits is death. But thanks to the IOCCA team that every year many
lives of Eritrean children with cardiac disease have been saved from
premature death.

image007.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image007.jpg)

image009.jpg