(Reuters): 1. International court's prosecutor shelves Darfur case for lack of UN support 2. S. Sudan children survive on waterlilies as crisis escalates - TRFN

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri Dec 12 15:38:56 2014

International court's prosecutor shelves Darfur case for lack of UN support

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:40pm GMT

By Michelle Nichols

UNITED NATIONS Dec 12 (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court's prosecutor said on Friday that she had shelved an investigation into war crimes in Sudan's Darfur region for lack of action by the United Nations Security Council to push for arrests.

The Hague-based court indicted Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir in 2009 for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide. It has also charged Defense Minister Abdel Raheem Muhammad Hussein, former Interior Minister Ahmed Haroun and Janjaweed militia leader Ali Kushayb.

None have been arrested.

The court referred Sudan to the Security Council in 2010 for non-cooperation. Kenya, Djibouti, Malawi and Democratic Republic of Congo have been referred to the council for failing to arrest Bashir when he visited, along with Chad, which was cited three times. The council has not responded to any of the referrals.

Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said that due to limited resources and "given this council's lack of foresight on what should happen in Darfur, I am left with no choice but to hibernate investigative activities in Darfur as I shift resources to other urgent cases, especially those in which trial is approaching."

In the 20th briefing by the ICC prosecutor to the 15-member Security Council on the Darfur case, Bensouda said the situation in Sudan's conflict-torn western region continued to deteriorate and more brutal crimes were being committed.

"Women and girls continue to bear the brunt of sustained attacks on innocent civilians," Bensouda said. "Victims of rapes are asking themselves how many more women should be brutally attacked for this council to appreciate the magnitude of their plight."

Council action is seen as unlikely because veto-wielding member China traditionally acts as Khartoum's protector. China abstained on the council vote in 2005 that authorized the ICC to investigate Darfur but has said it has "serious reservations" about the charges against Bashir.

"We find ourselves in a stalemate that can only embolden perpetrators to continue their brutality," Bensouda said. "What is needed is a dramatic shift in this council's approach to arresting Darfur suspects."

Law and order have collapsed in much of Darfur, where mainly non-Arab rebels took up arms in 2003 against the Arab-led government in Khartoum, accusing it of discriminating against them. Peacekeepers have been deployed in the region since 2007. (Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

© Thomson Reuters 2014 All rights reserved

፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠፠

S. Sudan children survive on waterlilies as crisis escalates - TRFN

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:23pm GMT

By Emma Batha

LONDON, Dec 12 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Around 1 million children in South Sudan have been forced to flee their homes since conflict erupted a year ago, some are surviving on waterlily roots, and there may be famine next year, the U.N. children's agency warned on Friday.

Some 12,000 children are being used by armed groups and others are increasingly vulnerable to violence, sexual abuse and exploitation, the agency added.

"The situation on the ground is horrific," UNICEF spokeswoman Doune Porter said from the capital Juba. "Time and again I hear colleagues who've worked in many other emergencies saying 'we've never seen anything this bad'."

Fighting between government and rebel forces, which began on Dec. 15 last year, has killed more than 10,000 people in the world's newest state, reopening fault lines among ethnic groups.

Almost 750,000 children have been internally displaced and more than 320,000 have fled to neighbouring countries. Some 400,000 are out of school and child malnutrition rates have more than doubled, UNICEF said.

"South Sudan narrowly missed falling into famine this year," Porter said. "We are in the harvest season now  but all the stocks are very, very much depleted compared to last year.

"Last year when we got into the lean season we were in crisis and emergency levels. For the next lean season things are looking very, very precarious. If the fighting escalates, which there are certainly very great fears that it will do, then the outlook is dreadful."

In one central region, Porter said she had seen people surviving purely on "stews" made from ground-up dried waterlily roots.

Nearly 2 million people have been uprooted by the war between supporters of President Salva Kiir and those of his sacked deputy and rival, Riek Machar. Most of the internally displaced are in remote areas with no humanitarian assistance.

Aid groups have had difficulty reaching many areas because of the fighting and the lack of tarmac roads in South Sudan, which seceded from Sudan in 2011 after a long civil war.

Operations are scaling up following the end of the rainy season during which dirt roads and landing strips were unusable.

In Bentiu in the north, Porter said 40,000 people had ended up living knee-deep in sewage-contaminated floodwater during the rainy season after fleeing heavy fighting. "Parents were sometimes standing overnight holding their children in their arms because there was no place to put them down," she added.

UNICEF, which is beefing up its response in the contested states of Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile, needs around $166 million to fund its emergency operation in 2015.

Porter said the long struggle for South Sudan's independence meant much of the population had missed out on school, leaving the country particularly vulnerable when it split from Sudan.

"We cannot risk having another generation of children who are not in school," she added.

(Reporting by Emma Batha, Editing by Tim Pearce)

© Thomson Reuters 2014 All rights reserved