(MySanantonio.com) ​Keflezighi calls it a ‘huge honor’ to win the Jesse Owens Award

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 20:19:16 -0500

​​
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-scene/2014/12/keflezighi-calls-it-a-huge-honor-to-win-the-jesse-owens-award/

Keflezighi calls it a ‘huge honor’ to win the Jesse Owens Award

Posted on December 5, 2014 | BY JERRY BRIGGS

SAN ANTONIO — Boston Marathon champion Meb Keflezighi arrived in the Alamo
City on Friday a day after accepting the Jesse Owens Award as the USA Track
& Field athlete of the year.

“It’s a huge honor,” said Keflezighi, who attended the award’s banquet on
Thursday night in Anaheim, California. ”Track and field is very deep.
It’s very strong. There are very diverse events.

“To be named to (receive) that award, named after the great Jesse Owens …
 What incredible things he did in 1936. I knew about him. I learned a lot
about him when I was in high school.

” You know, (I thought) maybe in 2004 when I got the silver medal (in the
Olympics) that I could get that award. It was a goal of mine in 2005 and
2006. Now, to get that award when I’m 39, it’s a lot more meaningful.”

Owens, a sprinter and a long jumper, won four gold medals in 1936 in Berlin.

Meb’s schedule: Keflezighi, the San Diego resident who placed fourth
recently in the New York City Marathon, will pace a group on Saturday
morning in the inaugural Rock ‘n’ Roll 10K.

The 10K starts on Cherry Street alongside the Alamodome at 9 a.m. It will
finish at Alamo Plaza.

Keflezighi, born in Eritrea in East Africa and naturalized as an American
citizen, said he also plans to attend a Spurs game against the Minnesota
Timberwolves on Saturday night at the AT&T Center.

Health and Fitness Expo on the move: The city elected to switch the Health
and Fitness Expo for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon out of the dome and into
the Convention Center, in Hall A, this year because of the potential for a
conflict with UTSA football, city spokesman Mike Sawaya said.

The conflict would have come into play had UTSA hosted the Conference USA
championship game, which, as it turns out, will be played on Saturday in
Huntington, W.Va., between host and East Division champion Marshall and
West Division champion Louisiana Tech.

City of San Antonio spokesman Mike Sawaya said ”UTSA has to hold that
date” in the event that the conference title game would be played at the
dome.

“It’s their date to hold,” Sawaya said. ”They can’t give it up.”

The health and fitness expo is an important element in the weekend’s
activities for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon. Runners check in at the expo,
which also serves as a home base for merchants to sell their wares.

The expo will remain at Hall A next year, Sawaya said, and then it will
move the following year into one of the newer halls now under construction.

200,000 entries: The Rock ‘n’ Roll San Antonio Marathon & 1/2 Marathon will
be nearing 200,000 total entries after this weekend. The rock-themed
distance running event, which started in 2008, is in its seventh year.