(MoI, Eritrea) ​Statement by H.E. Mr. Osman Saleh, Foreign Minister at the EU-Horn of Africa Ministerial Conference on Migration and Human trafficking

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 13:00:02 -0500

​​http://50.7.16.234/hadas-eritrea/migrationRome28.11.2014.pdf

Statement by H.E. Mr. Osman Saleh, Foreign Minister at the EU-Horn of
Africa Ministerial Conference on Migration and Human trafficking
Monday, 01 December 2014 11:46

Mr. Chairman,
Your Excellencies,

On behalf of the people and government of Eritrea, I wish to thank the
African
Union, the European Union and the Italian Presidency for taking this timely
initiative to address the critical issue of migration and the crime of
human
trafficking, which is profoundly affecting millions of people and nations
throughout the world.

I wish to make four main points and I will be very brief.

1) Conferences, like this one in Rome, as well as those that preceded it
and
those to follow, are important to highlight the critical nature of the
issue and
to create a broader understanding and a sense of urgency. Eritrea, however,
wishes to focus on and stress the crucial need to take concrete measures
and
within specified timeframes to make a positive difference for irregular
migrants and victims of human trafficking as well as address the legitimate
concerns of the countries of origin, transit and destination.

2) We in Eritrea are determined, and are already taking appropriate action,
develop the political, economic, social and cultural environment that would
provide opportunities for our young people to live and thrive in their own
country. We are engaged in a sustained and promising effort to transform
our economy and develop our human resources, specially the education,
health, skills, fortitude and initiative of our youth. We have a specific
program to bring tangible change in the lives of our people within three to
five years, positive change which will also have a significant impact on
current migration patterns.

3) Eritrea has embarked on and is determined to work in, close and mutually
beneficial, partnership with regional countries to address the problems of
irregular migration and the crime of human trafficking. More broadly and
importantly, Eritrea is actively engaged in promoting regional cooperation
and integration, as a strategically-located, maritime country, it stands to
gain
from regional peace, stability and cooperation.

4) Eritrea values its partnership with the European Union and is determined
work with the EU and all European countries to tackle irregular migration
and human trafficking and to address their root causes. We call for an
urgent
review of European migration policies towards Eritreans, as they are, to
say
the least, based on incorrect information, something that is being
increasingly acknowledged. Crucially, we call on the EU and all European
countries to increase their all-sided engagement and cooperation with
Eritrea
and the entire Horn of Africa region, in a partnership focused on peace,
security, trade and investment that will benefit both the region and
Europe.

Those are my four points. Let me conclude by thanking everyone present here
today and reaffirming that you will find in Eritrea an effective and hugely
constructive partner.

I thank you!