(StarTribune) Never satisfied, Rosemout’s Alex Berhe wants a top-three finish at the cross-country state meet.

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:32:29 -0400

http://www.startribune.com/sports/280713512.html?page=2&c=y

op-3 finish at state eyed by Rosemount runner Alex Berhe

Article by: RON HAGGSTROM , Star Tribune
Updated: October 28, 2014 - 6:29 PM

Never satisfied, Rosemout’s Alex Berhe wants a top-three finish at the
cross-country state meet.

There isn’t a gradual learning process for Rosemount senior Alex
Berhe, whether it be on a cross-country trail, a running track or in
the classroom. He is always living life in the fast lane.

The all-state distance runner is now focused on pushing himself to a
top-three finish in the Class 2A boys’ cross-country state meet
Saturday at St. Olaf College in Northfield. It will be his third
consecutive appearance in the event.

“I’m having an awesome season,” Berhe said. He recently finished
second to Burnsville senior Faysal Mahmoud in the Section 3 meet at
Valleywood Golf Course in Apple Valley. “I’m having the most fun I’ve
ever had.”

Berhe enters the state meet ranked 11th in Class 2A. He took 16th a
year ago, helping the Irish to a fourth-place finish. He posted a time
of 16 minutes, 2.4 seconds over the 5-kilometer course.

“I can always improve as a runner,” Berhe said. “The one thing with
running is there is always somebody better than you.”

His 2013 time was more than 35 seconds faster than in 2012, when the
Irish finished fifth.

“Alex is an extremely hard worker,” Irish coach Chris Harder said. “He
has a bright future.”

Harder was able to grasp that from his initial meeting with Berhe. He
walked into his classroom as a freshman.

“He came to my classroom during the winter and said he wanted to run
the 3,200 [meters] in track,” Harder said. “I have had other athletes
stop by and say they are interested in track, but never did someone
come right out and say the 3,200.”

Berhe had just arrived in the United States that summer to live with
his father, Desbele. He moved to Rosemount from Eritrea, a country in
the Horn of Africa.

“My father has been a big part of my transition,” Berhe said. “He has
helped me out a lot.”

Desbele was instrumental in helping his son grasp the English
language. They read books and watched television together.

“Alex is ELL [English Language Learner), but you would have a hard
time knowing that during conversations with him,” Harder said.

That hasn’t slowed down Berhe. He is known to take classes more
challenging than his academic level.

“He challenges himself academically,” Harder said. “That determination
can also get him into trouble.”

An early glitch in the schedule couldn’t keep him from developing into
one of the state’s top cross-country runners. He signed up for an
accelerated geometry program, but the time of the class meant he could
not train with his teammates over the summer before his sophomore
year.

“Alex met with another runner [Ryan Brumm] at 6 a.m. all summer, so
they both could attend the program and follow the summer training
program at Lebanon Hills,” Harder said.

It was with that kind of discipline that helped form Berhe into the
runner he is today.

“Ryan helped me a lot,” Berhe said. “He pushed me to limits that I
didn’t know was possible. If I wouldn’t have run with him, I probably
would have given up running. I wasn’t very good.”

In ninth grade, Berhe couldn’t break a 5-minute mile. He quickly
learned the importance of teammates, and how they could help him
develop into one of the state’s top distance runners. Berhe and his
teammates will be making their fifth consecutive appearance in the
state meet as a team.

“I think of cross-country as a team sport,” Berhe said. “To finish in
the top three at the state meet is the ultimate goal.”

For both him, and his teammates.

Ron Haggstrom • 612-673-4498