Aawsat.net: Sudan Democratic Unionist Party leader calls for dialogue

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:08:29 +0100

Sudan Democratic Unionist Party leader calls for dialogue

Muhammad Othman Al-Mirghani renews calls for political dialogue as elections
approach, warning of danger of "Libyan scenario"

Written by : <http://www.aawsat.net/author/m-hassan> Mohamed Said Mohamed
Al-Hassan

on : Wednesday, 29 Oct, 2014

Khartoum, Asharq Al-Awsat-Sudan's Democratic Unionist party leader Muhammad
Othman Al-Mirghani called for comprehensive national dialogue on Tuesday,
warning that the sub-Saharan African country could witness the "Libyan
scenario" unless its divided political parties are able to come together.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Mirghani said: "We need to accelerate a
comprehensive Sudanese national dialogue without delay or obstruction . . .
because the country is truly under threat. We do not want the country to be
subject to the division, conflict and confrontation that we are seeing in
other regional states such as Libya, Syria, Yemen and Iraq."

"The Sudanese people must demonstrate strong willingness to converge and
conduct constructive and positive national dialogue with the objective of
saving Sudan and its people from all these threats and dangers," he added.

Mirghani said that his Democratic Unionist party had called for dialogue as
early as 2011, raising the issue to other Sudanese political parties as well
as the Bashir government, but that this dialogue has been "delayed and
adjourned without any compelling justification."

Mirghani's renewed calls for dialogue comes amid controversy over Sudanese
president Omar Al-Bashir nominating himself for another term in office,
seeking to extend his 25-year administration in next year's general
election. The move has been criticized by some Sudanese parties with leading
Sudanese opposition figure Sadiq Al-Mahdi publicly calling on Wednesday for
Bashir to step down. In comments to Reuters, Mahdi called on Bashir to step
aside. "We as people who want change in Sudan look for a transition that
would involve some kind of soft exit for him," Mahdi told Reuters.

The International Criminal Court has issued warrants for Bashir's arrest on
charges relating to crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide. The
president's uncertain legal status has resulted in political and economic
isolation for Sudan, with many political parties inside the country unhappy
about this ongoing state of affairs.

"If he [Bashir] becomes part of a solution, I think we can persuade all that
he's entitled to a different type of treatment . . .But if change comes in
spite of his resistance . . .whoever comes to power will find it necessary
to hand him over to the ICC," Mahdi told Reuters.

Commenting on next year's elections, Mirghani told Asharq Al-Awsat that his
party expects to see "free and fair elections" and that the Democratic
Unionist party will base its election campaign on the party's "national
heritage, historic roots and popular acceptance" as one of Sudan's oldest
and most-respected parties.

Speaking earlier this week, Bashir vowed to end Sudan's international
isolation following recent visits to Egypt and Saudi Arabia. "We promise you
that Sudan will not be isolated, and our visit to Saudi Arabia removed
doubts our trip to Egypt had returned matters to normal," he said at the
ruling National Congress Party's conference after accepting his party's
nomination.

"Many bodies were counting on Sudan being isolated, but we are seeing an
opening in our external relations," he added.

File photo of Sudan's Democratic Unionist party leader Muhammad Othman
Al-Mirghani. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

File photo of Sudan's Democratic Unionist party leader Muhammad Othman
Al-Mirghani. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)