Sudantribune.com: South Sudan: Rival Forces Clash Over Control of Oil-Rich Town

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:45:43 +0100

South Sudan: Rival Forces Clash Over Control of Oil-Rich Town

28.10.2014

Juba - Fresh clashes occurred on Monday between South Sudan's rival factions
in Unity state, as peace talks mediated by the East African regional bloc
(IGAD) was to start in Ethiopia.

The incident, in violation of the cessation of hostile deal agreed on in
January and re-committed to in May, comes days after the two rival leaders
met for talks in Arusha, Tanzania.

"There is a fighting going on now in Bentiu as we are here. The rebels of
Riek Machar have launched an attack on the positions of the SPLA forces in
the area and we are expecting them to do the same in other areas, especially
in Upper Nile state," president Salva Kiir told the opening session of the
governors' forum in Juba on Monday.

He said the rebels lacked commitment to the scores of agreements they signed
with government, opting for military means to end war.

"While we have gathered here to talk about peace and reconciliation, Riek
and his group are thinking about stories to tell the international community
to cover what they are doing on the ground", said Kiir.

Sources said fighting erupted in Unity oil fields at about 9:00am (local
time), as rebels reportedly pushed government forces to Kubur Nyabol,
located 4km north of the United Nations base in Rubkotna.

"This [Monday] afternoon, a number of residents from Bentiu and Rubkotna
have appeared in the camp for safety under the UN protection," a resident
told Sudan Tribune by phone, adding that civilians often suffer when the two
rival forces clash.

It is, however, still unclear as to which side started the fight, despite
the two rivals trading accusations against one another in the past.

But, the South Sudan leader called for coordinated efforts from all the
different levels in order to bring about stability and development.

"We must work together from the county level, state and national level. We
must coordinate all efforts from all levels," he stressed.

Several government officials, donors, diplomats, lawmakers and civil society
members, among others, attended the forum on the theme, national
reconciliation to restore peace, unity and reconstruction.

The conference will reportedly examine how best the country can tackle the
current political challenges, amidst struggles to end the conflict that has
killed thousands and displaced over a million people.