(Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs)Comment by the Information and Press Department of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Russia’s abstention from voting on a draft UN Security Council resolution on Somalia and Eritrea

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 02:43:19 -0700

http://mid.ru/brp_4.nsf/0/93C4545D03E9B1A4C3257D7E005DF6A9 Comment by the Information and Press Department of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Russia’s abstention from voting on a draft UN Security Council resolution on Somalia and Eritrea 2478-27-10-2014 On 24 October, Russia abstained from voting on a draft UN Security Council resolution on Somalia and Eritrea. In our work on the draft, we proceeded from the task of speedily achieving peace and stability in Somalia and the need for an objective response from the UN Security Council to the situation in that country and in the Horn of Africa as a whole. The Russian delegation was ready to support the majority of the clauses of the UK-proposed draft except those that were speculative and did not reflect the real situation in Somalia and the region. In the final stages of work on the draft, its authors ignored Russian proposals to fine-tune the document and other amendments, including those put forward by Arab states, intended to improve the legal reasoning. The process of preparing this resolution failed, in our opinion, to meet the UN Security Council’s standards of objectivity, openness and transparency and to take into account the opinions of all Security Council members. 27 October 2014