TheGuardian.com: Thousands of African child migrants feared in thrall to Italian traffickers

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 19:10:43 +0200

Thousands of African child migrants feared in thrall to Italian traffickers

More than 3,000 minors may have fallen victim to forced labour and sexual
exploitation after vanishing from homes and shelters

* <http://www.theguardian.com/profile/luca-muzi> Luca Muzi in Catania
and Rome
* Friday 17 October 2014 08.00 BST

Thousands of migrant children are disappearing after arriving in mainland
Europe, triggering concerns that they are falling prey to a new and thriving
market for child trafficking and forced labour.

Of some 12,164 unaccompanied minors who arrived in Italy from north Africa
this year,
<http://www.lavoro.gov.it/AreaSociale/Immigrazione/minori_stranieri/Document
s/Report%20MSNA%2030-09-2014.pdf> about one-third have vanished from foster
homes and government shelters (pdf), with the authorities warning they are
likely to face sexual and labour exploitation if left unprotected.

Hundreds of children, mainly from Egypt, Eritrea and Somalia, are arriving
on Italy's shores every month. In Catania, on the eastern coast of Sicily,
local NGOs say that Eritrean children have begun to be kidnapped from parks
and train stations.

"Most of the Eritrean children refuse to be identified by the authorities on
arrival in the country because the
<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:41997A0819%2801%29
> Dublin Convention doesn't allow them to claim asylum in other countries if
they have been registered in Italy," says Elvira Iovino, director of
<http://centroastalli.it/> Centro Astalli, a migrants shelter in Catania.

"While they are sleeping at the train station they are intercepted by
networks of traffickers who promise to give them shelter and get them jobs.
But then they are locked up in houses and, if the family can't pay for them
to be released, they have to work for them selling drugs, through
prostitution or working in the Sicilian agriculture. These are all
high-income activities for these networks."

Children who are registered as unaccompanied minors upon arrival in Italy
are also vulnerable to exploitation. Under Italian law, children arriving in
the country without their family should automatically come under the care of
the state; they should first be housed in emergency shelters, then moved to
foster homes and into integration and education programmes. Yet, as
authorities in Sicily buckle under the weight of the influx of migrants,
children are being left in overcrowded and decaying emergency shelters for
months, with little protection.

In the Sicilian town of Augusta, which has been the landing point for more
than 4,000 of the 12,164 migrant children who have arrived in Italy so far
this year, local authorities say they simply can't cope with the numbers of
children for whom they are becoming responsible.

"Recently we had 1,500 people arriving at our port in one night - 250 of
these were children," says Francesco Puglisi, the commissioner in Augusta
responsible for immigration. "Here we just don't have the structures to give
the right protection to such large numbers."

Conditions at the Scuola Verde first aid centre, Augusta's only emergency
shelter for migrant children, are increasingly grim, with overcrowded
dormitories and rubbish-strewn hallways. The centre has the facilities to
support 20 children, but there are as many as 150 currently housed there.
Many minors who were supposed to be relocated after 48 hours are still at
the centre four or five months later.

According to migrant rights activists, many children who escape, or are
lured out of emergency shelters or foster homes by the promise of
employment, end up working in conditions of forced labour, packing boxes of
tomatoes in basements or greenhouses in Sicily.

Others head for cities and towns across Italy. The Guardian followed the
trail of migrant children from Sicily to Rome, where young Egyptian
teenagers were found working for a few euros an hour at the train station
and fruit and vegetable markets. Some said they were told by their
traffickers where to find work to pay off their debts before they left for
Europe; others received instructions on their arrival in Sicily.

"I said 'Bye bye, Sicily,' as nobody was helping us in the centres over
there," says Hamdi, a 17-year-old from Kafr Ikhsha in Egypt. "There are guys
who help you with the tickets. When I arrived in Rome, an Egyptian man told
me to go to Ponte Mammolo bus terminal and find the bus with all the other
Egyptians, which would take me to the market. You only earn between two to
10 euros for a day of work, but my family have to pay back the 2,500 euro
trip to Italy we paid."

Ahmed, who claims he is 17 but looks years younger, says he is under huge
pressure to find a way of repaying the 3,500 euro debt he incurred on his
journey to Europe. He is scared about a contract his family signed with the
smugglers who brought him across to Sicily. "Even five euros a day would be
something," he says. "I have to send money home, my family only have five
months to repay the debt."

Mariella Chiaramonte, chief of the police station in Tivoli, near Rome, says
that Guidonia's 140-hectare (350-acre) market, 15 miles from Rome, has
become a hub of child labour in the past few years. In the past month there
have been efforts to clamp down on the exploitation of migrant children
working as porters at the market, but the problem persists.

"Until about a month ago, all the porter work at the market was done by
Egyptian children, because their labour is so cheap," she says. "Their
employers give them two pennies and take advantage. The situation is out of
control. Even when we place these kids in foster centres, nobody checks
whether they are going to school. We believe that there is a connection
between those who traffic the children to Italy and those who employ them at
the markets, so we are planning an investigation to establish these links."

The fear of their families facing the wrath of the traffickers is driving
some to find quicker ways of repaying their debt. Khaled, another Egyptian
teenager, who is earning 50 euros a week at a petrol station, says many
young Egyptian children are recruited by drugs and prostitution gangs upon
their arrival in Rome.

"Other guys accept selling drugs or prostituting themselves to pay off their
debt. It is much quicker and not difficult to find this kind of job. It's
enough to just wait at the Termini bus station and somebody will come to
you," he says with a shrug. "Sometimes they are Egyptians and sometimes
Tunisians, but I don't want to do these things. All I want to do is pay off
my debt and send money home."

Would-be immigrants look out of a window from a fishing ship as they arrive
at Catania harbourWould-be immigrants look out of a window from a fishing
ship as they arrive at Catania harbour. Photograph: Antonio
Parrinello/Reuters

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)