Famagusta-Gazette.com: 50,000 children in Somalia "on doorstep of death"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:13:26 +0200

50,000 children in Somalia "on doorstep of death"

FAMAGUSTA GAZETTE

. Thursday, 16 October, 2014

Fifty thousand children in Somalia could die unless they are given immediate
assistance, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in the Horn of Africa country
has warned.

A drought has worsened an already dire humanitarian situation in the country
which has experienced more than two decades of insecurity.

The Al Shabaab terrorist group has been driven out of a number of cities but
has blocked food supply routes in some parts of the country.

UN Humanitarian Coordinator Philippe Lazzarini said the international
community needs to act now to save the children.

"We have more than one million people who are in need of urgent assistance.
Among them we have 250,000 children. And among them we have 50,000 children
who are on the doorstep of death, if no assistance is provided now."

On Tuesday, the UN Security Council is expected to hear a briefing of the
current situation in Somalia. - (FG/Agencies)

The Al Shabaab terrorist group has been driven out of a number of cities but
has blocked food supply routes in some parts of the country.

The Al Shabaab terrorist group has been driven out of a number of cities but
has blocked food supply routes in some parts of the country.

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)