TheGuardian.com: World Food Day: 10 myths about hunger

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:05:49 +0200

World Food Day: 10 myths about hunger

How much do you know about global hunger? We take a look at some of the
biggest food production and nutrition myths

* Carla Kweifio-Okai
<http://www.theguardian.com/profile/carla-kweifio-okai>
* Thursday 16 October 2014 14.51 BST
* Jump to comments (3)
<http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/oct/16/world-food-day-10
-myths-hunger#start-of-comments>

1. There is a global food shortage

Chronic hunger has a range of causes, but global food scarcity is not one of
them. According to the World Food Programme,
<http://www.wfp.org/hunger/causes> we produce enough to feed the global
population of 7 billion people. And the
<http://www.oxfam.ca/there-enough-food-feed-world> world produces 17% more
food per person today than 30 years ago, and the rate of food production has
increased faster than the rate of population growth for the past two
decades. However, latest calls from the Food and Agriculture Organisation
(FAO) suggest this might be changing, with estimates that
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-foundation-food-population-gro
wth-idUSKCN0I41RT20141015> 60% more food is required if population numbers
increase to nine billion by 2050.......

Read it in PDF attachment below:

Berhane