Allafrica.com: South Sudan: Aid Workers Fail "Some of World's Most Vulnerable"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:16:14 +0200

South Sudan: Aid Workers Fail "Some of World's Most Vulnerable"

Interview

By Katie Nguyen

London - From Syria to South Sudan, humanitarians are failing to protect and
reach some of the most vulnerable people caught up in war or hit by natural
disasters, the United Nations' former aid chief
<http://www.nrc.no/?aid=9136705> Jan Egeland said on Wednesday.

Too many aid agencies are not good enough at fostering acceptance from
warring sides in a conflict or investing in staff willing to work in
particularly tough places such as Central African Republic, Egeland said.

"We, still, are not there at all for some of the most vulnerable communities
on Earth. In Syria, we're still not reaching hundreds of communities," said
Egeland, now the secretary general of the <http://www.nrc.no/> Norwegian
Refugee Council (NRC).

"It's the worst war on our watch. We're doing good work for refugees in
neighbouring countries but too few organisations are able and willing to go
deep into Syria - the same in the Central African Republic, in South Sudan,"
he told the Thomson Reuters Foundation in a telephone interview.

"I would have hoped we would be in places where there's the greatest need
and not just where it's easier to respond."

Syria's civil war has left some 10.8 million people - half the country's
population - in need of assistance. More than 6 million have been uprooted
inside Syria and another 3 million have fled the country.

"UNMITIGATED OUTRAGE"

Egeland was speaking from Washington D.C. where he is due to address an
event marking 50 years since the
<http://www.usaid.gov/who-we-are/organization/bureaus/bureau-democracy-confl
ict-and-humanitarian-assistance/office-us> Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster
Assistance - responsible for leading the U.S. government's response to
disasters overseas - was set up.

Egeland, who was the U.N. undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs
and emergency relief coordinator between 2003 and 2006, said aid workers in
the past 50 years had become better at saving lives, providing healthcare,
education, water and sanitation to stricken populations.

He estimated that 50 years ago, about 5 percent of those affected by
conflict or natural disasters received emergency relief, compared with
around 80 percent today.

However, there had been "remarkably little" progress gaining access to all
people in need of help, protecting them from abuses and preventing
humanitarian crises including those exacerbated by climate change, Egeland
said.

For example, in South Sudan, reports assessing the humanitarian response to
civilians fleeing clashes between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and
his sacked deputy, Riek Machar, found that some camps for the displaced did
not have separate toilets for men and women.

"They were not lit at night, there were no locks on the doors. Women were
routinely abused when they went to the toilet," Egeland said.

He cited an initiative by NRC to teach students in religious schools in
Afghanistan about humanitarian work as one way of building acceptance of aid
work in local communities that could be replicated elsewhere.

Egeland, who as the U.N. aid chief dealt with conflict in Sudan's Darfur
region, an insurgency in northern Uganda and the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami,
called for a push to find political and diplomatic solutions to emergencies
in hotspots such as Central African Republic, South Sudan and Gaza.

"It's an unmitigated outrage that we return with our blankets and with our
relief to the same places every 5 years or 50 years," he said.

(Reporting by Katie Nguyen; Editing by Alex Whiting)