Stesfamariam.com: LAMPEDUSA-If I were you laying on the sand, looking up into the skies

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 15:55:47 +0200

<http://stesfamariam.com/2014/10/03/lampedusa-if-i-were-you-laying-on-the-sa
nd-looking-up-into-the-skies/> LAMPEDUSA-If I were you laying on the sand,
looking up into the skies

09.10.2014

by sophietm7 <http://stesfamariam.com/author/sophietm7/>

Life is precious, irreplaceable, and should not be gambled or sacrificed
unless it is for a higher cause. The needless deaths of those who cross
dangerous seas in search of greener pastures, lured by the promise of a
better life, a visa to paradise etc. only to find themselves at the mercy of
ruthless traffickers, smugglers and mother nature, is not supposed to be
politicized, rather, it should call on the conscience of the world, and
implore it to end the needless suffering, the senseless deaths.

Eritrea's youth have also been victimized by human traffickers, smugglers
and worse of all, by political agendas that seek to undermine the young
nation's development. Today, regretting their youthful decisions, many have
returned to the safety and security of their own country, but there are many
more languishing in UNHCR camps in neighboring Ethiopia, in detention
centers in the West. Those who make it to the Italian shores, are today
found on the streets and parks of Italian cities living on handouts. The
crimes committed against these youth is deliberate-and those who
participated in facilitating youth flight from Eritrea are as guilty as the
criminal traffickers and smugglers.

The shores of Lampedusa bear the footprints of those who survive the
perilous journeys and its waters bear in each rolling wave, the memories of
the many lives lost there. Allow me to share this piece, "Lampedusa- If I
were you laying on the sand, looking up into the skies", written by Simone
Mariotti, and ask all to reflect on life. and the choices we make.

Clear road, beautiful sky, birds chirping and flying, green trees swaying
from side to side in the gracious wind, softly whispering through the
leaves. People walking with thoughts of happiness, eagerness, anger and
desperation, and we call this: Life.

Life that turns into memories in a split second. Memories, they just are.
Memories can sometimes be the cure or, the disease. Some are good, and some
bad. The bad memories, however choke the good-out of the pleasant ones.
leaving us feeling empty.

Today, I sniffed on the deadliest poison called memories from the past, and
it is lingering in the soul of my mind, causing the slow death of the
inside.

This intricate beauty and voices from afar have told me that, I died today,
yet I am alive on the outside. My best friend, the intangible, and
in-explainable-feeling, called Hope, has left my side. Today, Hope has
abandoned me, leaving me to partake at my enemy's table-that I love the
most, called Time.

Time is wonderful to those whom luck has grazed their star. Luck in its
glorious virtue, however somehow have missed my star, so the dreadful
scrooge-Time, is lurching and taunting me with pain of deadness inside, yet
it leads me to believe that God still exists.

My contradiction, hence my intellectual appeal - how can a God that loves
us, let us die alive and let us bare the agony and pain inside?
Contemplating on questions that deserve answers, easy to understand on a
human level, is expected from a God that is beautiful, that sees the
ugliness, yet sacrifices so much to instill the beauty to those who believe.
However, the suffering, agony of knowing and feeling the dead inside, yet
alive and well on the outside is a punishment that Time cherishes.

God's time has not come to the completion of His work, is that an answer? So
the questions remain, why do I have to die whilst still alive? Who benefits
from my pain?

Whats in it for God? Does life has to be this way: happy, sad, unfulfilled,
joyful, cruel and then we die?

I am living the dead in me, but I can't curse God because I am clothed by
the cloak of free will. So I pose the question, did my inside died from my
own doing? If I am dead inside, yet breathing to mock my liveliness outside,
to whom do I return the free will?

I am sitting at my enemy's table-Time, alone left behind by Hope, mocked by
the air that fills the lung, free-will that caused my dead inside. the
question is Why? The answer shouldn't be because it is Just Life. There
should be more to it. Life can't be this cruel if the God that made it is
wonderful.

Posted on
<http://stesfamariam.com/2014/10/03/lampedusa-if-i-were-you-laying-on-the-sa
nd-looking-up-into-the-skies/> October 3, 2014