[dehai-news] At least 94 dead, 250 missing as migrant boat sinks off Italy

From: tedros Fetwi <tedros111_at_hotmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 10:57:47 +0000

"The word that comes to mind is 'shame'," Francis said in unscripted remarks after a speech in the Vatican. "Let us unite our strengths so that such tragedies never happened again."

These words of Pope Francis must resonate heavily in the mind of every Eritrean at this particularly sad moment.

Let me ask readers a question. How did you feel when this featured as the headline of every major news channel? I, just like millions others, am always saying (some say bragging) that I am a proud Eritrean. I am now starting to question this and try and find a meaning to it in the current cirumstances. What am I proud of? In the the light of what we are witnessing happen to our fellow Eritreans time and again, I have not heard of any effort by any Eritrean entity to: 1. highlight the dangers of the trip that many Eritreans are making in search of what they believe to be a better life? Is living in Eritrea really worse than ending up dead in the middle of the Sahara or the mediterranean sea-bed?2. help them get to where they want to get to safely. I appreciate this is easier said than done, but it doesn't mean that we do nothing!3. Leap forward to help our brothers, sisters, children when they face adversity How often do we hear about Eritrea in the news? And when we do, is it all good news? I will ask every Eritrean who syas they are proud to be Eritrean. In the context of the Eritrean culture of one for all and all for one, what are you really proud about? Isn't it about time some of the established entities (eg: Dehai.org) started a campaign to help end this tragedy. Pope Francis says Let's unite our strengths. Well, Eritreans should listen to him and unite their efforts and help our fellow Eritreans. Dehai.org. You can be instrumental to this. Let's do something practical that makes us PROUD Eritreans!!! My thoughts are with those who lost their lives and their loved ones! God bless Eritrea! P.s: If you reply, please refrain from making a political point!