[dehai-news] Shabait.com: "Movies and digital photos too are an outline of art"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 23:47:50 +0200

<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/14651-movies-and-digital-photos-too-a
re-an-outline-of-art> "Movies and digital photos too are an outline of art"

Friday, 13 September 2013 09:31 | Written by Billion Temsghen |
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/14651-movies-and-digital-photos-too-a
re-an-outline-of-art?format=pdf> PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/14651-movies-and-digital-photos-too-a
re-an-outline-of-art?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=181b614f951660
affe0a441f0fc8101aff1f5360> E-mail

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/september-13-qa.jpgHis name
is SelomonTsehaye, he was born in Asmara and he is a young artist whom in
his late twenties took by storm many spectators with his poly rounded
talents, especially his editing capacity. He recently graduated with a
Degree from the Medical School of Asmara and now is doing his national
service at theHalibet Hospital.

Q:-Let's start our conversation by talking a bit about your childhood dreams
and wishes.

Painting, drawing, making a sound by composing notes, creating something out
of scratch. these things: I liked doing the most. My dream was to become an
artist that not only people recognized but an artist that could create big
works that would survive any social or conventional changes throughout
generations.

Q:-Isn't this too much for a kid to come up with?

Well, it is not. Obviously most of the kids would not understand the meaning
of "socio-conventional changes and upgrades" but I noticed because as a
teenager I liked contemporary artistic works and artistic productions of the
past. Songs, paintings, movies from the past that only I hear my parents and
friends talking about, but I would know how to explain it because I don't
know how these thoughts matured in me: I sincerely was influenced by the
artistic productions of the past. And this is how I ended up wanting to
create something of my own that would be appreciated for a very long time.

Q:-I heard you are a musician too.

It is true, it all started when I was in very early teenage years I had a
friend that loved me playing the guitar so I would always do it for him. One
day as I was playing my guitar in his house a middle aged European woman
listened to my music and she started applauding. She invited me to join her
band as they were in Asmara on a tour and I did, I practiced for more than
two weeks and then I got to perform live with the band at Cinema Roma. That
was my first appearance to the public as a musician and it was also an
opportunity in which I had a chance to meet well known Eritrean musicians,
furthermore it obviously paved my way to the artistic world.

Q:-You got me curios; I would like to know what is the meaning of "art" to
you?

I have an esthetic point of view when it comes to art.In art I basically I
look forward to a permanent concept of beauty. See, I don't support the
thought of art as an educational or didactic fixation. Art has to be
beautiful because it is the only structure in which "true beauty" is
enhanced. Whether it is illustration of something delightful or scary or it
could be simply a plain depiction of something bare, it is always a form of
beauty. Art can be a form of consolation and a breath talking item, as a
spectator one has to just be impressed and have no moral expectations from
art.

Q:-According to you, are films and movies a form of art too?

Definitely! Art started way before color tubes and brushes were invented, it
all goes back to the origins of humanity: back when people started graffiti
in their caves. Representing their life styles and so on. so for me movies
and digital photos too are an outline of art , it is true that they are few
of the thousands improvements brought out by technology but they are still
a very upgraded form of art. I hate it when some people exclude techno or
digital pictures out of the concept ofart, art is so vest that it extends
its borders to different aspects, ideas and philosophies. That is why I do
editing as well.

Q:-You are indeed a movie editor and director. Tell us something about this
particular aspect of you.

I would not be confident about my directing because I believe I have a long
way to go but so far I have enjoyed editing so very much. I started with the
editing of some digital photos back when I was in my late teenage years and
I improved my skills in my early twenties.

Q:-What do you think of it?

It is not an easy job, but it takes more time than the filming part. It is
vital because as an editor one has to be really careful in what he or she is
doing because editing is where ones talent has to definitely meet the
expectation of the writer and director. And most importantly editing is the
touch in which the exquisiteness of the movie its self is enriched. So the
job requires a lot of delicacy, slenderness and attention.

Q:-How many films have you worked in so far?

Ten in general, but two of them are still to come out. They are not
completed yet.

Q:-The movie "Aklasia" even won an international award. What do you think
was essential aspect for it to be an internationally recognized?

It was a "Gold Remi Award Winner for Best Foreign Film", and also was
recognized for the "best leading actress nomination". The editing was
essential, and actually I would deny the hard work we had put in the editing
so that we could have a good outcome, nevertheless what made the movie more
stunning was the work of everyone that was involved in the project, starting
from the story line, to the directing and acting and so many other aspects.
A movie is a result of the work of a lot of professions.

Q:-What about the doctor side of you.

I am a doctor too. I graduated recently and am working as doctor at the
Halibet Hospital. I love both of my professions. And I rely on both of them
to make a living and lead a happy life in which I get to enjoy my
professions.

Q:-Are we to expect more from you?

Of course, there is two more movies one the way. And as I told you before I
want to create unforgettable works so am working really hard to make that
childhood dream and my actual aim to make it real.

Q:-Well good luck, thank you for this interview.

Thank you!

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

image002.png