[dehai-news] (dehai-DMB, abeden) AMAZING! - Oil Company Letter to US Dept of State, Sept 17, 1945

From: Alex Berhane <ab2145_at_mail.ccs2.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:03:39 +0200

The Greatest Truth Never Told
When oil becomes thicker than blood,the results are always wars, famine of Biblical proportions, poverty, lack of educational institutions, political and economic backwardness, low IQ and shocking level of moral illiteracy.... etc...

SINCLAIR OIL CORPORATION
630 FIFTH AVENUE
NEW YORK, N.Y.

September 27, 1945

The honorable James F. Byrnes
Secretary of state
Washington D.C.

Dear Mr. Secretary:

My company has only recently completed an agreement with the Imperial Ethiopian government for the development of petroleum in Ethiopia.

I feel rather certain that you, personally, have been informed with request to this agreement. Unfortunately, the country of Ethiopia is an inland country, with no direct water outlet for export shipping. Should we be successful in discovering oil, we would, of necessity, be required to construct adequate pipe line facilities from Ethiopia to a suitable seaport, as well as an export shipping terminal.

If we are to proceed with our development program in Ethiopia, it is of vital importance that Eritrea should be recognized as an integral part of Ethiopia, as we would have a suitable seaport outlet.

Our entire development program will seriously be delayed and affected should Eritrea be under the domination of any other power except Ethiopia. I, therefore, urgently request that your good offices support the demand of Ethiopia with respect to Eritrea.

For your personal information, I am attaching hereto photostatic copy of the supplemental agreement between my company and the Imperial Ethiopian Government, with respect to construction of pipe lines in outboard outlets, from which you will readily see the importance to this project of the acquisition of Eritrea by Ethiopia.

Very truly yours
Signed:
President.

After the end of World War II, the United Nations conducted a lengthy inquiry regarding the status of Eritrea, with the superpowers each vying for a stake in the state's future. Britain, the last administrator at the time, put forth the suggestion to partition Eritrea between Sudan and Ethiopia, separating Christians and Muslims. The idea was instantly rejected by the Eritrean people Ñboth Christians and Muslims Ñwho wanted total independence and keep their territorial sovereignty intact. The United States point of view was expressed by its then chief foreign policy advisor John Foster Dulles who said:
.... From the point of view of justice, the opinions of the Eritrean people must receive consideration. Nevertheless, the strategic interests of the United States in the Red Sea Basin and considerations of security and world peace make it necessary that the country [Eritrea] be linked with our ally, Ethiopia." Ñohn Foster Dulles, 1952

A UN plebiscite voted 46 to 10 to have Eritrea be federated with Ethiopia which was later stipulated on December 2, 1950 in resolution 390 (V). Eritrea would have its own parliament and administration and would be represented in what had been the Ethiopian parliament and would become the federal parliament. In 1961 the 30-year Eritrean Struggle for Independence began, following the Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie's dissolution of the federation and shutting down of Eritrea's parliament. The Emperor declared Eritrea the fourteenth province of Ethiopia in 1962.

A new spirit of self-reliance is taking root among many Africans as they seize control of their destiny. What are they doing right?
By Johanna Mcgeary and Marguerite Michaels Monday, Mar. 30, 1998

".............By logic, the nation of Eritrea (pop. 3 million) should not exist. The secessionist province's independence fighters ought never to have defeated Ethiopia in their 30-year-long struggle. They were outmanned, outgunned, abandoned or betrayed by every ally; their cause was hopeless. They won by force of character, a unity and determination so steely not all the modern armaments, superpower support or economic superiority of Ethiopia could withstand it. The spirit that saw the Eritreans through 10 years in the trenches of their mountain redoubt at Nakfa has built them a nation from scratch, since independence was finally consummated in 1993................"

"Arba_Gorash" Ethiopian Review Forum
http://www.ethiopianreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60323