[dehai-news] Open Letter to Mr. Michel Jarraud, Secretary General of World Meteorological Organization

From: S Tewolde <stewolde91_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 12:51:41 -0700 (PDT)

To: Mr. Michel Jarraud, Secretary-General

  To: Chairperson, Publications Board

CC: Mr. David Grimes, President of WMO

World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
7 bis, avenue de la Paix
P.O. Box 2300 CH-1211
Geneva 2, Switzerland

CC: Mr. Paulos Kahsay, Director of Civil Aviation Authority, Meteorological Services (Eritrea)

Dear Mr. Jarraud and Publications Chairperson

Interestingly I read your“THE GLOBAL CLIMATE 2001-2010, A DECADE OF CLIMATE EXTREMES SUMMARY REPORT, WMO No. 1119” posted on DEHAI ERITREA ONLINE(DEHAI-NEWS); and appreciated the time and efforts  the respected scientists have sacrificed  alerting all leaders of the nations in particular and the public in general the effects of the global climate change. However, your report does not reveal the major countries who are contributing to the increasing or warming up of the global climate change. It appears to covering up the very facts and truths of the natural climate variability.

I also noted that your map, page 9 on your “REPORT”, does not show Eritrea, a member of WMO, since July 8th, 1993. Your report’s map is deliberately and shamelessly showing Eritrea as part of Ethiopia using the below inapplicable disclaimer. http://library.wmo.int/pmb_ged/wmo_1119_en.pdf

“The designations employed in WMO publications and the presentation of material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of WMO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.”.

The above disclaimer is applicable for countries that have boarder dispute between them. Examples are between United States of America (U.S.A.) and Mexico; India and China; Nigeria and Cameroon; China and Japan; Ethiopia and Somalia/Kenya/Sudan; Thailand and Cambodia; U.S.A. and Canada; Territorial dispute between Russia and Japan; India and Bangladesh, Eritrea and Ethiopia etc. It is not to be used as an excuse to completely merging a sovereign country with another sovereign country or showing a sovereign country as completely part of another sovereign country.

I clearly understand your motives for showing on your map the newest African country Southern Sudan, split from the Republic of Sudan in 2011, became a member of WMO on December 14th, 2012, with all the due respects for my fellow brothers and sisters of Southern Sudan; but not showing Eritrea, on your map, independent since 1991 and a member of WMO since July 8th, 1993.

  I bet, you are oversensitive of borderline issues; because you did not merge the former USSR Republics with Russia, East Timor (Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste) with Indonesia,Southern Sudan with the Republic of Sudan, countries formerly part of Yugoslavia with Serbia, and other numerous countries in the world with borderline disputes and issues are not merged and shown on your map as part of their neighboring country with “larger” area.

Mr. Jarraud and the Publications Chairperson of the “REPORT”please be advised that theworld maps available everywhere in the world are showing Eritrea as an independent country with clearly marked borderline. Even the old world maps, printed prior to Eritrea’s independence in 1990, to your surprise, were showing Eritrea and Ethiopia separated by dotted line.

Ironically, unlike Eritrea, your map is not showing France as part of Germany. Sorry, Mr. Jarraud of reminding you the German invasion of France (your country) during the Second World War and its liberation from Germany by the “Allied Forces”.

WMO is not a “political” Organization; however, with your action on the map, you are meddling in politics. Please stay out of such very nonsensical politics and stick to providing accurate and accessible climate services to disaster management authorities, water and energy utilities, public health agencies, the transport sector, farmers as well as the public at large.

Mr. Jarraud - Secretary-General, you very well know and understand that Eritrea is an independent country since 1991, 22 years ago; a member of African Unity, United Nations, Regional and International Organizations including World Meteorological Organization; i.e. the Organization you are working for since July 8th, 1993. Eritrea voted “Infavour” for your appointment and re-appointment you as a Secretary General WMO as well.

Mr.Jarraud - Secretary-General, including the Chairman of the WMO Publications Board, can you explain to me and the people of the State of Eritrea why the borderline between Eritrea and Ethiopia was deleted and used pre 1991Ethiopian map showing Eritrea as part of Ethiopia? Even the Ethiopian maps are showing the “borderline” between the two countries with a disclaimer. Hope you will not tell me that you used an old map; because you have included on your “special” map the newly independent countries around the globe. Are you going to publish an apology to the people and Government of the State of Eritrea? I am waiting for your reply.

Eritrea became independent by sacrificing over 100,000 of its finest and the best children, women and men; not with anyone’s willful blessings. Our unity is our strength. Protecting Eritrea’s and its people’s dignity is our responsibility. Eritrea will live strong, prosperous and independent forever!!! Eritrea will never kneel down for occupiers and colonizers.

Glory to our freedom and Sovereignty!

Glory to our Eternal Legacy of Our Martyrs!

Solomon Tewolde G.Mariam
Toronto, Canada