Re: [dehai-news] Scribd.com: Helping Communities Boost Food Security in Eritrea

From: Tesfai Gerezgher <Tesfai.Gerezgher_at_mungos.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 03:18:43 +0100

The micro dam is one of many others serving different communities in different part of Eritrea. It is amazing how our life and our self reliance is always attached to water and agriculture.
The point I want to raise in this case is that it is not the amount of money that can change the life of people but how wisely it is spent.

The total cost of the Aid Hakefa - Lamza micro dam was $1.2 million and the beneficiaries are 6000 people including children. This come out at $200 per head which is nothing if you consider the long term service and benefits of this micro dam. The $200 per head could have been spent on food aid that does not go beyond two months of oil and milk powder, considering the purchase cost, transport and human labour.
This is one example of the many projects nation wise and it would not have happened without the long and bitter struggle for self reliance.

Awet N'Hafash!

Tesfai Gerezgher Run for St Mungo’s in the 2014 London Marathon! We have limited places available, so click on the link below to apply for a place and for more information. London Marathon 2014: http://www.mungos.org/events/running/virgin_london_marathon This email and any attachments may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not represent those of St Mungo's. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person, other than the intended recipient. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. St Mungo Community Housing Association Ltd is a charity exempt from registration | Industrial and Provident Society No 20598R | Housing Association No LH0279 | Chief Executive and Secretary Charles Fraser CBE | Registered office: Griffin House, 161 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8BS | Please consider the environment before printing this email St Mungo's Opening doors for homeless people