[dehai-news] Shabait.com: "I don't think lessons should be heavy spirited"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 13:32:57 +0200

<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/14515-i-dont-think-lessons-should-be-
heavy-spirited> "I don't think lessons should be heavy spirited"

Friday, 30 August 2013 08:00 | Written by Billion Temesghen |

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/aug-30-article-qa.jpgTo be
a teacher that a lot of students look up to, to be some one that has open
ears with an open heart ready to give advices, to be there for every one.
Today we are going to meet a teacher who is a role model to many of his
students.

Q-: Welcome, you might as well start by telling us something about yourself?

Hi, I am Moses Mebrahtu. I was born in 1981 in Ela-Bered and way before I
turned one year old I became blind. I don't know the exact causes of my
blindness neither do my parents because they were not educated. So I grew up
with no eye sight. But I never felt any different so I studied hard to
achieve my goals and dreams.

Q-: What were exactly your goals and dreams?

My ultimate goal was to be totally independent from any one given I am
blind: I didn't want to be dependent on any one, not even my parents I
wanted to be a person of my own. My dream instead was to be a teacher. In
our community a teacher is someone respected, that is mainly why I wanted to
be a teacher.

Q-: How does it feel to be a teacher?

The fact that my job is something I have been longing for so long:
practically my whole life is a big fortune because my dream totally came
true. Plus my occupation teaches me a lot, like how to be a good listener it
helps you to discover new and fresh minds as well. It is a very respectable
job so I feel alive every time I teach or I explain some matters to my
students.

Q-: What do you teach?

I originally studied social studies but since I also had a teaching diploma
for English I and now a student of English language and literature.

Q-: Do you like literature?

Absolutely! Because I consider it as a part of art. Since literature is a
vast collection of poems, novels and so many other written forms that
represent a particular culture and tradition. It is also a reflection of the
progress of different societies, so I would say that I am definitely a big
fan of literature.

Q-: And what other forms of art do you like?

I am a passionate musician. I love music any kind of it: so long I could
play it with my instruments it is good to me. Music actually gave me hope
back when I was a teenager. You know how when someone starts to grow up
tends to come up with many question about life. And me too had some doubts
on my existence, my life and so many things and music got me through my
tribulations. It kind of kept me busy from having crazy thoughts running
through my mind.

Q-: I hear you are a very loved amongst your students. Do have any special
teaching methods?

Well. the most important thing is to own your students attention while
teaching, you have to know if you are being understood. To do so your
lessons have to be completely capable of being interesting for your students
to follow so what I personally do is to be clear and make sure that the
arguments that I bring up are of a light weight, I simply don't teach facts
I also add example or drawings, pictures, music or whatever to make sure to
have my students attention. That is all. I don't think lessons should be
heavy spirited.

Q-: Well, thanks for your honest suggestion and thanks for being here with
us today.

Thank you!

image007.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image007.jpg)