[dehai-news] Living as a martyr and dying a Martyr: A tribute to Minster Woldemichael Gebremariam

From: michael seium <michael.seium_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 10:08:22 -0400

*Living as a martyr and dying a Martyr: A tribute to Minster Woldemichael
Gebremariam*

* *This past week Eritrea lost another son that will forever be remembered for his dedication and hard work to make sure that Eritrea will forever be a peaceful nation in the otherwise unstable region that it is located in. Veteran fighter Woldemichael Gebremariam, Minister of Local Government, left us to be with the higher power at the age of 72. What makes his martyrdom even more unique is the fact that he died doing what he loved best. He also happened to leave us in a city that has always been known for its symbol of independence. As most of us are aware he left us while in Keren city on his way back from a working visit in Gash-Barka region.

Tegadaly Woldemichael, one of the founders of the Eritrean Liberation Movement (Haraka) and the EPLF, has served his country with honor and dedication. He was like most Eritreans a person that deeply and passionately gave his life to build a strong tomorrow for his people. He was assigned to many tasks and served Eritrea in the Homeland and abroad in the course of the armed struggle for independence, as well as recently until his death in the nation-building process.

I would like for all Eritreans and especially the youth to use this occasion as a way to pay respect and appreciate your country for having and being blessed with such incredible leaders who never betray the trust of our martyrs. I never knew the Tegadaly minster very well but I had a chance to meet him while in Eritrea a few years ago. I want to say based on his deeds he has proven to be a great servant of his people and nation. As minister of land, water and environment he has played a huge role in helping Eritrea become a self-sufficient nation that continues to develop and build many projects that provide people with access to safe and adequate drinking water as well as other projects that will make Eritrea one of the fastest developing nations to meet all the goals of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.

Last but not least, I want to emphasize on something that we should all be proud of. Let us ponder and pause for a couple of minutes and it does not matter what political agenda you may have but when a person dedicates 52 years of their life that is more than half of a century to a cause they strongly believed in and continued to fight for it until death, they should in my opinion be considered a hero. This brothers and sisters is dedication. I am not amazed at all that Eritrean leaders like bitsai Woledemichael are selfless because they have never forgotten how this nation was built. They have witnessed so much. They have seen their best friends give up their lives so that Eritrea will be the place they envisioned, free independent and advanced. In the end I would like to share my condolences to the late Minister Woldemichael’s immediate family, the Eritrean people and the entire world for losing a person that exemplifies the true dedication of “SACRIFICE”.

May you rest in peace sir,

Mike Seium