[dehai-news] (The New Times) Eritrea seeks strong ties with Rwanda

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 21:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

Eritrea seeks strong ties with Rwanda

By Frank KanyesigyeAugust 05, 2013

The Eritrean government is looking to strengthen bilateral ties with Rwanda, according to its Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Osman Saleh was yesterday adressing journalists shortly after visiting Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre to pay tribute to the over 250, 000 victims of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi laid to rest at the site.

The minister, also a member of the Executive Committee of People’s Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ), Eritrea’s ruling party, is in the country on the invitation of Rwandese Patriotic Front (RPF).

“Rwanda and Eritrea share the same history of liberation struggles. Our relationship is good but our focus is to further cement our relations, especially in the areas of diplomacy, social affairs and economy and politics,” said Saleh who was flanked by RPF senior cadres.

He stated that Rwanda can learn a lot from Eritrea and vice versa and both countries can help each other to achieve prosperity for their peoples.

“The Genocide was horrible, terrible and very dreadful; it’s unthinkable. But I appreciate what Rwanda has achieved. By keeping the memory alive, Rwanda has kept an important part of history for the next generations to know what happened in this beautiful country,” he said.

“Our ruling party— PFDJ has a good relations with RPF and we want this relationship to move to greater heights,” Saleh noted.

While in Rwanda, the Eritrean minister is expected to meet with RPF Secretary General and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs officials.

He will also tour Rwanda Governance Board, Parliament, microfinance schemes, Rwanda Development Board, Kigali Special Economic Zone, National Unity and Reconciliation Commission, and the districts of Bugesera and Rubavu.

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/index.php?i=15440&a=69238