[dehai-news] (NBC S.) Meb Keflezighi, Ryan Hall, Kara Goucher lead American fields at New York City Marathon

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:08:39 -0700 (PDT)

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/30/new-york-city-marathon-meb-keflezighi-ryan-hall-kara-goucher/

Meb Keflezighi, Ryan Hall, Kara Goucher lead American fields at New York City Marathon

Nick Zaccardi Jul 30, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT

Olympic silver medalist Meb Keflezighi and Olympians Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher are among a deep American field at November’s New York City Marathon, the New York Road Runners announced Tuesday.

They’re joined by three more 2012 Olympians — Julie Culley (5,000 meters), Amy Hastings (10,000 meters) and Janet Bawcom (10,000 meters).

The 2012 New York City Marathon was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy.

The Eritrea-born Keflezighi, 38, won silver in the 2004 Olympic marathon. He won the 2009 New York City Marathon in 2009, becoming the first American since Alberto Salazar in 1982 to do so.

Hall, 30, placed fourth in the 2009 New York City Marathon in his only previous appearance. He took 10th in the 2008 Olympic marathon and dropped out of the 2012 Olympic marathon.

“I have one goal in mind for this year’s ING New York City Marathon: redemption — restore what has been lost,” Hall said in a press release. “I have had my fair share of struggles since qualifying for the 2012 London Olympic marathon; however, those struggles are now behind me.”

Goucher, 35, placed 11th in the 2012 Olympic marathon after having her first child, boy Colt, on Sept. 25, 2010. Before her pregnancy, she placed third at the 2008 New York City Marathon, her last appearance in the event.

“I have been eager to return to NYC when the timing was right, and the time is now,” Goucher said.

Also announced to join the field Tuesday are top U.S. men’s contenders Jason Hartmann, Ryan Vail and Jeffrey Eggleston and accomplished women Alisha Williams, Adriana Nelson and Mattie Suver.