[dehai-news] Statement by H.E. Ambassador Araya Desta..

From: Aklilu Abraham <adalvoice_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:20:17 +0100

Mr. Chairman,

Please allow me now to briefly turn to some of the contents of the report under consideration. I will be as brief as possible focusing on the new elements as Eritrea has addressed many of the allegations in the current report on previous occasions. I believe that any objective reader will agree with Eritrea that the Report is not a result of thorough and objective investigation. It relies on self-serving sources such as "defectors", "unnamed diplomats", and "authorities in an East African country".

I would like to stress that however unjustified Security Council resolutions 1907 and 2023 might have been, Eritrea has not violated the provisions of the two resolutions as well as other relevant instruments of the Council. Contrary to the assertions of the report, Eritrea maintains good neighborly ties and continues to engage with most of its neighboring states to promote peace and stability of the region. But while these are the facts, and although the report does not provide any material evidence of Eritrea extending financial and/or military support to Al-Shebaab or any other armed group in Somalia. It nonetheless insinuates the existence of a continuing threat to peace and security in Somalia by misconstruing incidental contacts that may have been historically cultivated with certain individuals. I would like to emphasize again that Eritrea supports earnestly the efforts of the Government of Somalia to stabilize the country. Eritrea upholds the unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Somalia and supports the Federal Government. It encourages all Somalis to engage in constructive dialogue and national reconciliation, and opposes all negative intervention in the internal affairs of the country. Yet, the report speculates, in disparaging tones, that Eritrea's relations with the Federal Government of Somalia must be based on 'tactical considerations'. This is presumptuous and raises serious questions on the manner and substance of the SEMG's judgment and conclusions.Fore more Click
linkhttp://adalvoice.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/eritrea-totally-against-extremism-and-terrorism-statement-by-h-e-ambassador-araya-desta/

[image: Inline image 1]

iWbJ6iUeqPpZ.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: iWbJ6iUeqPpZ.jpg)