[dehai-news] Innercitypress.com: Jubaland Reaches UNSC But Not Somalia Kenya Rift, UK Hot & Cold on Syria

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:52:05 +0200

Jubaland Reaches UNSC But Not Somalia Kenya Rift, UK Hot & Cold on Syria

By Matthew Russell Lee

UNITED NATIONS, June 13, 2013 -- Jubaland made it into the UN Security
Council on Thursday, when UN Assistant Secretary General Taye-Brook Zerihoun
gave a closed door briefing. Afterward UK Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant,
Security Council president for June, came out and announced that his
delegation has circulated a draft press statement expressing concern about
tensions there.

  Inner City Press asked Lyall Grant if Kenya would be mentioned in his
press statement, given Somalia's complaints including at the recent African
Union summit how its parliamentarians were "blocked by Kenya" from entering
Kismayo. Video here
<http://webtv.un.org/watch/sc-president-sir-mark-lyall-grant-united-kingdom-
on-liberia-security-council-media-stakeout-13-june-2013/2477037618001/>
from Minute 2:38.

  Lyall Grant replied that he didn't think Kenya would be named, but AMISOM
would be and Kenya is part of AMISOM. He acknowledged "incidents" in Kismayo
and said there should not be distractions from the fight against Al Shabaab.

While Lyall Grant, when reached at the stakeout, is responsive, as is his
spokesperson, this stands in contrast
<http://www.innercitypress.com/scuk1banpress060413.html> still to the UN
Mission in Geneva.

  After two days of questions and complaints
<https://twitter.com/UKMissionGeneva/status/345149256333672448> about the
Human Rights Council resolution they tweeted that they had tabled, on
Thursday morning when tw-asked for a copy of the resolution, they said it
was on the HRC's website
<https://twitter.com/UKMissionGeneva/status/345157837938376705> .

  But hours later, after signing in to the
<https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/345181686759305216> "extra-net,"
the draft resolution wasn't there. And it has still not be received. Ah,
Digital Diplomacy.
<http://www.innercitypress.com/banpress1ununca061213.html> Watch this site.

********

After Somaliland Said UNSOM Can't Function There, Kay Keeps Talking

By Matthew Russell Lee

UNITED NATIONS, June 14, 2013 -- The day after Somaliland through its
foreign minister told UN envoy to Somalia Nicholas Kay that his UNSOM
mission is not welcome in Somaliland, Inner City Press asked Secretary
General Ban Ki-moon's spokesman Martin Nesirky for the UN's response.

   Nesirky said he'd try to get an answer from the Department of Political
Affairs. And soon this came in: