[dehai-news] (DTD) The discovery of new fossils in Eritrea

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 04:59:51 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.daringtodo.com/lang/it/2013/05/26/nuovi-fossili-di-homo-dalleritrea/
26/05/2013
The discovery of new fossils in Eritrea

The team Italo-Eritrean operating in the region of Buya, in the African country, led by paleoanthropologist prof. Alfredo Cup of the Department of Environmental Sciences of the University La Sapienza of Rome, led to the discovery of new fossils of Homo, dating back to about a million years ago, located at the site of Muhuli Amo, which means "sanctuary of the tonsils."

Italian scholars, along with fellow Eritreans, already work in the area, which has always been one of the most important places for the research and study of the remains of early hominids appeared on Earth.

At a depth slightly lower than that of artifacts unearthed in previous excavations, were found more fragments of the skull of an individual who is found to be the same as they belong to other remains recovered in the last two years of the mission.

In particular, a new fragment of parietal bone was found to be of great importance, since it has allowed the reconstruction of the entire wall of the left skull of Homo and to consider in a much more thorough the morphological peculiarities of the cranium of this individual.

It was thus clarified first of its resemblance to the skull, previously marked by paleoanthropologists with the initials UA31, contemporary and from the nearby site of Wadi Aaza, and second was confirmed the hypothesis that this morphology of the skull called UA31 is representative of a population, not an individual.

"These new findings - says Professor Cup - confirm that the area that we are investigating is one of the areas with the highest potential for research that deal with the origins of the species sapiens, whose direct ancestors appear in the region about four hundred years later. (Software translation)