[dehai-news] Eritrea: Strongly committed to fight human trafficking nationally, regionally and globally.

From: Ibrahim Idris Suliman <eboeri30_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 03:31:52 -0600

Eritrea: Strongly committed to fight human trafficking nationally,
regionally and globally.

http://cyberadal.com/2013/05/15/eritrea-strongly-committed-to-fight-human-trafficking-nationally-regionally-and-globally/

http://cyberadal.com

 Within the statement by H.E. Mr. Osman Saleh Minister of Foreign Affairs
of the State of Eritrea During The United Nations High-Level Meeting on the
Appraisal of the Global Plan of Action to Combat Trafficking in Persons
Sixty Seventh Session of the UN General Assembly Agenda Item 103 (Crime
Prevention and Criminal Justice) New York, 13 May 2013.

Eritrea said,
- “The Eritrean people were among the first in the African continent to
suffer from the brutal yoke of colonialism. Later, their human rights were
violated again when they were denied the right to independent statehood
that was recognized for other African peoples, simply because the powers of
the day decided that their hegemonic interests required that Eritrea be
placed under proxy colonialism. Eritreans did not bow down to this logic of
force, nor were they cowered, but they responded with a successful
thirty-year armed struggle for human rights that entailed the loss of 65
thousand martyrs, the disability of tens of thousands, the displacement of
close to a million people and the destruction of the country and its
economy.”

- “Eritrea is strongly committed to fight human trafficking nationally,
regionally and globally. It has undertaken concrete measures to prevent
this crime from happening and mitigating its impact on victims.”

- “In an effort to silence the voice of the Eritrean people that has been
calling for the respect of their sovereign and human rights, the
perpetrators of the injustice, arrogating to themselves the role of
accusers, witnesses and judges, imposed illegal sanctions on Eritrea in the
name of the Security Council. Today, four years on, the fabrications that
formed the basis for the sanctions have been exposed and it has become
clear that there is no justification for maintaining them and yet, the
injustices continue, which begs the question: where then are justice and
human rights?”

- “Calling for an impartial investigation: As I indicated earlier, in
Eritrea’s case, the crime of human trafficking has become enmeshed with an
externally-driven political agenda of destabilizing the country. It is not
only a criminal network of human traffickers that Eritrea is contending
with, but more insidiously, those who are using the traffickers as tools,
those who are creating an enabling environment for the crime through
generous funding, vicious propaganda, provision of safe havens and active
destabilization. Eritrea has solid evidence that individuals and groups
posing as “human rights defenders,” representatives of at least one UN
agency and officials of some governments are implicated. This is why
Eritrea has officially called on the United Nations to launch an
independent and transparent investigation of this abominable affair so as
to bring justice to Eritrean victims and to a country that is the target of
a malicious, concerted and unlawful campaign. Such an investigation will
also serve to expose and bring into account not only the criminals who ply
their murderous trade for money, but also those ultimately responsible who
cynically abet the crime in pursuit of an illegal and violent political
agenda.
Ibrahim Suliman