[dehai-news] (Team MTN Q.) MERON RUSSOM HIGHLY IMPRESSIVE IN FRANKFURT - Cycling

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 07:14:56 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?news=meron-russom-highly-impressive-in-frankfurt

MERON RUSSOM HIGHLY IMPRESSIVE IN FRANKFURT

Gerald Ciolek achieved another impressive result in Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt on Wednesday after sprinting to fifth place. However, after the race, Meron Russom was the conversation on many lips in Germany. The Eritrean was seen on the front of the peloton for the majority of the race, keeping a nine rider breakaway in check.

“It was a nice race,” Russom said after having reflected on his performance. “I felt good and it’s nice to be working for the team. I was chasing the breakaway group and just kept the pace.”

The 26 year old who recently became a father worked tirelessly to set things up for Ciolek amongst what was an impressive field which included German favourites, Andre Greipel, John Degenkolb and Tony Martin.

“It was more than 2 hours,” Russom said when asked how long he lead the peloton for. “After 20 kilometres, Gerald told me to go to the front and help Quick Step with the chase. Three of us, me and two Quick Step guys kept the pace high for about 150 kilometres.”

Russom has endured some highs and lows this season ranging from injury which kept him from competition to becoming a father.

“I am feeling good now, my legs are coming back and I am happy with my performance. A few weeks back I was having problems with my knee so now it’s ok and going much better so I am do my job normally.”

Asked if he could have imagined that after only a few years of dreaming of becoming a professional, he’d be putting some of the best riders in the world in difficulty and working for someone like Ciolek’s calibre, he said, “It’s incredible. It just gives me motivation to ride in the front and put the hard work in. It boosts your morale to ride with the best riders in the world and just motivates you.”

http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?news=4-jours-de-dunkerque-stage-3-race-report-tewlede-attacks

While most headlines will go to Arnaud Démare (FDJ) who won again for the third day in a row in 4 Jours de Dunkerque, Jani Tewelde showed he is back to full fitness. The Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung rider spent the day in the main breakaway along with 3 others, Maxime Daniel (Sojasun) Hugo Houle (AG2R) and Maxime le Montagner (Roubaix).

Much like the previous days, FDJ controlled most of the day to ensure a sprint for Démare. It wasn’t that simple though as several riders attacked the race in the final. Blel Kadri (AG2R) was the last rider to be caught after he bridged a gap to the day’s main break. Left solo out in front, several riders tried to cross to him without success. The peloton eventually reeled him in with 3 kilometres left to race.

Along with Eritrean, Tewelde up the road, Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung was very active. Martin Reimer was well looked after and followed Démare while all the attacks were taking place. However, in the end, Africa’s first Professional Continental team was unable to put anyone in a position to sprint for the win.

“Today we had a really good meeting before the start and everbody did their job perfectly,” Reimer said after the stage. “I did not have the best legs today but I was good on the climbs and always in the front. Jani did a really good job and Ignatas [Konovalovas] is finding his legs again. Jay [Thomson] is also getting better after his crash yesterday and Jaco [Venter] was also good today.

“Today everything was perfect but I messed up the sprint because I was too far back. Now I’m looking forward to tomorrow and hope that I have the legs to follow the best. I’m still really motivated and hope for a good GC and still for a good stage result. It is both possible because the team is finding the legs and we are going better day by day,” Reimer concluded.

Unfortunately Martin Wesemann was unable to take to the start due to illness.

Stage 4 will be the toughest day of the tour so far and isn’t likely to end in a mass group sprint.