[dehai-news] Shabait.com: "My passion became my job"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 21:08:51 +0200

 <http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/13295-my-passion-became-my-job> "My
passion became my job"

Friday, 03 May 2013 08:49 | Written by Billion Temesghen |
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/13295-my-passion-became-my-job?format
=pdf>
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/13295-my-passion-became-my-job?tmpl=c
omponent&print=1&layout=default&page=>
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=25621a3360c0cf
84f0ba6a83a45c00bbb51ab351>

Articles <http://www.shabait.com/component/content/section/1> - Q
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a> & A

Let's meet today a young man who together with his team mates is making some
unforgettable myths in our country's bicycle raising history.

Q:-Welcome and please do introduce yourself to our viewers.

Hi, my name is Daniel Telklay but I am better known by my nickname "Imba
Dorho", I was born in 1993 in Asmara. I had quite a rough childhood as my
dad passed away when I was two years old so till this very day every member
of my family has to somehow earn his living, it's mine and my siblings duty
to help our mom. So ever since I was young I started working while studying:
I had two jobs actually I was a mechanic and I used to work as daily laborer
at construction sites. I was really busy also because I had bicycle
trainings as one of my daily routines. And there is a race in town I would
drop everything to watch the game. I am a passionate fan of bicycle racing.

Q:-Bicycle training?

Yeah. It's my passion and specially when I was younger I had this burning
feeling in me all I wanted to was work help my mom and save some in order to
buy a mountain bicycle.

Q:-Did you buy one?

Yeah I did. And I even I joined the national team.

Q:-How did you became an official; member of the national team?

Thanks to my brother who used to tell me to realize my dreams and do what I
love the most, so one day I woke up, I remember it was Friday, and I went to
the head quarters of the Eritrean Sports Commission and I was so shy to go
in and sign up, and matter of fact I stood in the entrance for a very long
time ad God knows I don't even remember what was going through my mind and
some guy was passing and asked me what I was doing there. I told him
everything and signed me up. This was back in 2006. A week after I signed up
I participated in a race with guys of my age. I was 12 going on 13.

Q:-And then what?

Well, the race was not official one, we had no sponsor and so I paid for
every thing I saved and covered my sports wear.

Q:-How was your first race?

(Laugh).

Q:-What so funny?

God! It was a mess. that day I was so anxious that I woke up at three in the
morning and went all the way to "Park Sematat. Even though I knew that the
race would be at "expo". I, till this very day, don't know why I went to the
practicing field knowing the race would be taking place somewhere else.

Q:-So what did you do?

Well I sat there and started to wait for my partners but no one was showing
up and then I realized I was being so clumsy I rushed to Expo and I was late
for the game.

Q:-Really?

How sad it was? Well yeah, I went back home I lied to my family and told
them I came out at the 6th place. My brothers were a bit sad they expected
much more from me but my mom as sweet as she is was extremely happy for the
fact that I got back home safe.

Q:-What about you? How did you feel?

Disappointed! Picture this: I was probably the first one that woke up I was
so ready to participate in the competition and win, but turns out to be that
I ended up being one of the spectators!

Q:-And how was your second race?

Well, it was my "first official" race. It was organized by the Sports'
Commission. I was scared at first but I came in at the 1st place. After that
game I was officially a member of the national team. So it was all about
hard training and different national and international competitions. For
example in 2007 we had a race in Algeria. finally my passion became my job.

Q:-Now that your passion became your job is there anything that you wish
for?

It is not a wish but I know am going to work really hard on my skills and
achieve much more.

Q:-What about your future plans?

I want to make my team and my family proud by being a well known
professional racer.

Q:-Well good luck and I hope you won't mess up on your racing days.

That happened once when I was a kid and I promise you it won't happen again.

Q:-We thank you for being here.

Thanks for having me. Appreciate it.
-

image007.jpg