[dehai-news] Re: Pambazuka.org: A lethal cocktail for Africa-Religious extremism, endemic corruption and bad governance; but now NGOs too!

From: Mehari tesfayohannes <meharitg_at_dlcoea.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:30:20 +0300

Dear Dehai,

Thank you for the wonderful observation and article.
What has been written in the article is true and 100% perfect. However, does one think that African leaders do not know and understand this? This is happening because of their greediness and just their concern is to fill their pocket rather than thinking about the poor and the destitute, who are suppose to benefit from the fund that is coming in their names.

I heard one story that have had happened in one of the refugee camps in Tanzania. People were wondering why the NGO staff were celebrating by drinking of champagne, whisky, dancing and feasting with delicious food. Later it has been understood that because they were told that the time for the repatriation of refugees to their villages was extended. This people are leaving by the side of the refugee camp and passing luxurious life; driving modern vehicles, leaving in a luxurious air conditioned spacious houses and sending their children to very expensive schools. While the refugees or destitute are leaving in a worn-out tent, in a dusty, hot weather conditions and eating and drinking non hygienic food and water.

To add; as these staff of NGOs are well paid and have a lot of incentives, they made the market expensive and the locals are suffering due to high cost of leaving across many cities in Africa.

Last but not least but why Africa can not learn from Eritrea?

Tesfa Gheb
Mob:+254722752849

Nairobi, Kenya