[dehai-news] TV.Msnbc.com: Video-Tarikuwa Lemma Exposed the Selling of Ethiopian Kids - MSNBC2

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:52:12 +0200

Tarikuwa Lemma Exposed the Selling of Ethiopian Kids - MSNBC2

29/04/2013

Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7cC4CAkhS6M#>
&v=7cC4CAkhS6M#!

Adopted against her will: One woman shares her story

 <http://tv.msnbc.com/author/meredithlclark/> Meredith Clark,
<http://twitter.com/MeredithLClark> _at_MeredithLClark

1:36 PM on 04/29/2013

What would you do if you arrived in a foreign country ready to study on an
educational exchange and only to discover you had been "adopted" by a family
that thought you were an orphan?

It may sound like a nightmare, but it happened to Tarikuwa Lemma, who told
her story on Sunday's Melissa Harris-Perry. Lemma came to the United States
from Ethiopia for what she and her family thought was an educational
exchange program when she was 13-years-old; after she arrived, she was told
she had been adopted.

Once she learned what her adoption meant for her future, Lemma felt "a lot
of grief and anger."

"I didn't want a new family because I had a family in Ethiopia," said Lemma,
who will start her freshman year at college in the fall. The family that
tried to adopt Lemma and her two younger sisters changed their names and
even stopped them from speaking their native language.

Adoption is a multi-billion dollar industry, rife with corruption and
dissemblance, and in recent years it has morphed into an evangelical
movement.

"There is so much emphasis on and enthusiasm for adoption in the United
States," said journalist Kathryn Joyce, author of
<http://www.amazon.com/The-Child-Catchers-Trafficking-Adoption/dp/1586489429
> "The Child Catchers." "When adoption agencies prey on families' desire to
'help' children they believe to be in need, there have been lies and
misinformation seeded in from the very beginning" of the adoption process.

How can the adoption process be reformed? Is it even possible to do so?
Watch the full discussion on MHPshow.com and watch the show every Saturday
and Sunday at 10:00 AM ET.