[dehai-news] (Derwesten) Talent as a gift from God

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 06:07:02 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.derwesten.de/sport/begabung-wie-ein-gottesgeschenk-aimp-id7878503.html

Sports
Talent as a gift from God

25.04.2013
Elmali. At the end it was too much for Natnael Teweldemedhin Berhane. Since this thin man stood from the small and poverty-stricken Eritrea a little lost in the wasteland of the 1850 meter high Gögubeli Pass, was applauded, wrapped in the turquoise leader's jersey, kissed by hostesses - and let the tears flow. "I've cried when I crossed the finish line," said the 22-year-old professional cyclist after his stage win in the Tour of Turkey: "From such a success, I've always dreamed of."

A Cinderella Story

A classic Cinderella story was being played out at the first summit finish this tour, which is staffed entirely by prominent stars such as top sprinter Andre Greipel or Sanremo champion Gerald Ciolek.

Written by one who drives a race for the first time outside Africa. "This is a historic day for Eritrea, for Africa, for cycling, "said Frederic Magne, former director of the World Cycling Centre. The former WCC program, a kind of development aid for cyclists, also comes Berhane. Only since the beginning of the year he turned professional with the French team Europcar, he played previously for the national team of his country adventure race on dusty roads: the Rwanda Tour, the Tour of Algeria. And now, of course, as he stormed the Turkish steep serpentines, won and took over the overall lead, which he held also on Wednesday.

"This is huge. It was such an important stage. I did not know before how good I can climb here, "said teammate of Frankfurters Björn Thurau. Ultimately, Berhane was able to discover: it can climb exceptionally well, the African champions. A gift like a gift from God, the meaning of his name, a variant of the Hebrew Nathaniel.

On the way to the national sport

That it has brought a young man from Eritrea to professional, borders on a miracle. And it's not just one: Since 2012, Daniel Teklehaymanot riding for the Australian team Orica, a small group of talent is waiting in the wings.