[dehai-news] Time is ripe for a new Eritrea Policy Out of Washington

From: Bereket Kidane <welela83_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:52:15 -0700 (PDT)

Everything that one can think of to bring down a government and a people has been tried and failed when it comes to Eritrea. Every trick in the book has been put to use. Frustrated enemies whose anti-Eritrea efforts have failed have turned to blaming the mining companies, diaspora Eritreans for their steely resolve and backbone in supporting the Government of Eritrea, and countries like Qatar for their friendship. Even youth groups like YPFDJ have not escaped their wrath and have been excoriated for taking pride in their heritage and showing interest in learning the truth about Eritrea. All of their efforts aimed at driving a wedge between the Eritrean people and their government have failed. At what point do they realize that they're involved in a fool's errand? Could we be approaching that moment of epiphany for the anti-Eritrea forces? Recent reports that the United States has re-started consular services in Asmara and is sending a permanent
 representative to Eritrea are encouraging signs. But the Obama Administration needs to go much farther and use Eritrea's upcoming 23rd birthday next month to begin a new chapter in US-Eritrean relations based on mutual respect and understanding. For starter, the United States needs to honor the responsibility it took when it became one of the guarantors of the Algiers Agreement and let the long-awaited border demarcation proceed. That gesture combined with the lifting of the illegal and unjust sanctions placed on Eritrea would go a long way in mending relations between the two countries and bring peace to the Horn. So far, the more the big powers have tried to prop-up Weyane's Ethiopia at the expense of Eritrea, the more Weyane's Ethiopia has gotten closer and closer to the day when it finally crumbles under its own weight. The old definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. The time is ripe for
 a new Horn of Africa policy out of Washington.