[dehai-news] Weekly.ahram.org.eg: Entebbe all over again

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 22:17:40 +0200

Entebbe all over again

Gamal Nkrumah reflects on reports seeping from Juba concerning South Sudan's
presumed signing of the Entebbe Agreement

Monday,01 April, 2013

This week, a chink of light emerged from Juba over an issue that has long
constituted a fundamental foreign policy challenge facing Egypt. "We joined
the Nile Basin Initiative. We are on the way to join the framework
agreement, through which Nile Basin countries could discuss the best ways
for using water sources," Paul Mayom, South Sudan's minister of water
resources and irrigation, is reported to have announced yesterday in a
surprise and as yet unconfirmed move. Mayom's statement, if proven correct,
would mean that South Sudan will join the Entebbe Agreement.

A big question hangs over Egypt's readiness for this change of mindset of
South Sudan. Cairo is not opposed per se to the Entebbe Agreement, however,
Egypt does demand that any agreements of Nile Basin countries should be
reached only with the consensus of all Nile Basin nations. South Sudan had
previously rejected the water distribution agreement, originally signed
between Egypt and Sudan in 1959 on the pretext that it did not have a say in
the drafting of the agreement.

African upstream countries, spearheaded by Ethiopia, protest that the
agreement granted the downstream countries of Egypt and Sudan the lion's
shares of the Nile water. It is against this backdrop that in April 2010,
Ethiopia, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania signed a new agreement in
Entebbe redistributing the Nile's water. Egypt, along with Sudan, boycotted
the deal, saying it was non-binding precisely because their perspective was
not taken into account.

The bottom line is this. Unlike Egypt, South Sudan and other upstream Nile
Basin nations are not desperately in need of Nile water for agriculture
since they receive considerable rainfall sufficient for agricultural
purposes at the very least. Cairo does not question South Sudan or other
upstream Nile Basin nations' right to have a say in how the Nile waters are
utilised and distributed. But let's not let the possibility of providing
answers to the challenge of Nile waters utilisation cripple the chance for
working together to collectively develop the Nile Basin.

Nevertheless, Burundi joined the Entebbe agreement in March 2011, paving the
way for its approval. So, if South Sudan, also signs the agreement it will
result in a de facto prevalence of the views of upstream nations to the
detriment of Egypt and Sudan. Mayom is reported to have explained that South
Sudan does not recognise the 1959 agreement. "We were under the control of
Sudan, when the agreement was signed. Thus, we couldn't say anything," he
extrapolated further.

Egypt, which receives the largest portion of the Nile's water, has grave
reservations about any agreements that do not preserve its historic rights
as stipulated in the 1959 agreement. About 85 per cent of Egypt's water
originates in the Ethiopian Highlands. The Blue Nile, running from Ethiopia,
through Sudan to Egypt is the lifeline of the country. Rainless Egypt, in
sharp contrast with its well-watered neighbours, is utterly dependent on the
water of the Nile River, and has been so since time immemorial. Egypt's
share of Nile waters stand at 51 billion square metres annually, according
to a deal signed with Sudan on 1959, which gives the latter 18 billion
square metres of water per year. Sudan, is also more dependent on the Nile
for irrigation purposes and agriculture than either South Sudan or the other
upstream nations.

Nevertheless, the decision of South Sudan with regards to the Entebbe
Agreement is potentially significant. A new opportunity to pursue a fresh
Nile water redistribution is sorely needed. With one of its main, perhaps
the most important, national security concerns pushed to one side, the hope
in Cairo is that upstream Nile Basin nations, including South Sudan will now
seize the moment and consider Egypt's legitimate concerns more seriously.