[dehai-news] (Shaebia) Nadew Today

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 04:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

Nadew Today Monday, 25 March 2013 08:17 | Written by Solomon Mengisteab
Last week the 25th commemoration of the demise of the Nadew Command, which was the greatest army of the Dergue regime, was celebrated throughout the country. The courage behind the offensive, the sacrifices paid in the battle and the victory reaped from the annihilation of the Command make this historical victory unforgettable. The victory over The Nadew Command can be called one of the historical victories of the oppressed over the forces of colonization through out the world. The significance of the demise of The Nadew Command, at that time, of course, was clear. In few words, it can simply be said that the obliteration of The Nadew Command was a turning point in the history of The Eritrean Revolution.

It was only after Nadew that The Eritrean Revolution proceeded from a defensive into an offensive position. However, the most import question today, on the celebration of this colossal victory is not what it meant then, it is rather what it means now. What can the youth of our country learn from such historical event? What are the implications of such a remarkable event in the history of our country on the manner we face the challenges of the present and the future. For, if we are to learn from history in getting through today and shape tomorrow, there is no greater history for us, Eritreans, than the history of the revolution. We don’t need to search for the great books of history to refer to other people’s experiences. The incredible saga of The Eritrean Revolution is yet to be exploited and the triumph over Nadew is among the most important of events in the armed struggle. It is a monumental victory of guerrilla fighters, who were smaller in

 number and less equipped in arms and logistics, over one of the greatest army in Africa at that time. Nadew is a victory that is sometimes referred by historians as the Dien Bien Phu of Africa.

One of the most significant values demonstrated in the Nadew offensive was the unity of the people of Eritrea. The unity of Eritreans under one front was one of the most important factors contributed to the victory over Nadew. Prior to Nadew all Eritrean freedom fighters under different organizations set all their differences aside and stood as one against a common enemy, which was colonization. The unity of these organizations also was very much welcomed and was reflected on the people of Eritrea living in and outside of the country. The fact that the people were united under a common goal made the revolution invincible even to one of the greatest powers of the day in Africa. Therefore, the memorial day of the Nadew command is not just a mere celebration it is an echo of history reminding our unity is the most precious asset we have as a people. Therefore, Nadew tells us that it is fruitless to wander maverick in the quest of solutions for whatever

 problems we may have as a people and nation. It brings forward how the seemingly insurmountable challenges of those days crumble under the unity of our people; giving a monumental witness and being a reminder to the miracles of unity.

The significance of equality has also been reflected on the victory of Nadew. As unity was one of the most important factors to the demise of Nadew equality was also the most important component to the unity of the people of Eritrean. In the revolution every single individual was equal to his or her comrades. The background of the freedom fighters be it ethnicity, religion, class, literacy, gender, etc. was inconsequential then. Men, women, doctors, shepherds, teachers, Muslims, Christians, highlander and lowlanders, slept on the ground under the same sheet, eat the same food from one bowl, fought, bled and died side by side. This tangible defacto equality was the secret for the love unity and altruistic sacrifices paid by our heroes resulted in the demise of the Nadew command. This value of equality born and nurtured in the revolution is not only to be cherished today. It is rather to be flourished and be the foundation for the endeavour we shall engage

 in, in order to eradicate obstacle of any sort for the peace, prosperity and freedom of our people.

Nadew is the hallmark of the resilience of the Eritrean revolution, since it is the victory where the resilience of the Eritrean revolution was demonstrated at its best. In 1977 the freedom fighters retreated from the gates of Asmara all the way back to the mountains of Sahil. Then, the freedom fighters knew that they had to fight all the way back to Asmara again for the independence. As if that wasn’t hard enough, such a massive support was flowing non-stop from USSR and its followers for the Dergue regime. In addition to the supply of modern arsenal and logistics, Cuba and USSR sent their military experts to advice the regime’s military commanders. It had been said it those times that the Eritrean revolution was going to be stifled under the massive powers plotting to eradicate it. However, the revolution survived and even further managed such a staggering victory over the largest military command of the Dergue regime, Nadew. This pliability and

 hardiness is among the greatest lessons that have to be carved in the colossus of the victory over Nadew we shall build in our minds. So that it would remind us that we should always keep on going no matter how rough the journey is and always keep on bouncing back no matter how many times we should fall.

The significance of Nadew today especially for the youth is immense. Nadew is a big mirror reflecting upon us the miracles of unity, equality, resilience, and many more values of The Eritrean Revolution. Citizens ought to inherit and be equipped with these values in facing the challenges of today. As ever, the youth is directly related to whatever challenges that our country may have now and for the future. If the youth should learn from the victory of Nadew, it is the fact that when people stand together for a just cause under the shade of equality and are willing and determined to go as far as it takes there is nothing that can stand on their way. For, it was this our fathers had on their side when they stood against all odds and demolished an enemy superior in number, arms and logistics 25 years ago.