[dehai-news] Interview with Mr. Alamin Mohammed-Sied, Secretary of PFDJ

From: Dimtzi Eritrawian Kab German <eritreanvoice.germany_at_googlemail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 02:29:22 +0100

Interview with Mr. Alamin Mohammed-Sied, Secretary of PFDJ

CONTRIBUTOR: ADMIN <http://eastafro.com/Post/author/admin/> / MARCH 15,
2013
Interview with Mr. Alamin Mohammed-Sied, Secretary of PFDJ:
The emergence of the EPLF as a power promoted the geo-political interest of
the Eritrean people: Mr. Alamin Mohammed Seid.
Thursday, 14 March 2013 11:34 | Written by Yishak Yaried

[image: Alamin Mohammed Seid]Mr. Alamin Mohammed Seid

Mr. Alamin Mohammed-Sied, Secretary of PFDJ, conducted an interview with
the local media outlets on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of the demise
of Nadew Command and the liberation of Afabet town. Excerpts of the 1st of
the interview follows.

Mr. Alamin Mohammed Seid, we would like to thank you for the chance you
gave us to make this interview with you. We would like to begin our
question with the first stage of our struggle 1977-1987. This stage has
significant place in our struggle with regards political and military
developments. It was also a period in which there was Soviet interference
and the EPLF was compelled to shifting from an offensive into a defensive
position and conduct strategic withdrawal. Could you please tell us what
was the situation during this stage?

First I would like to thank you for having me. It is also very important
for we are going 25 years back and talk about past events and draw
important experiences. If we are to talk about the demise of Nadew Command
(What we call Nakfa Front) and the liberation of Afabet town we have first
to look at the situation prior to that. It is very important to look at the
general picture between 77 and 78. How was the Command demolished? What
victory was gained? How did the situation emerge? It is very important to
look at these questions separately. One important aspect during this stage
was the strategic withdrawal and the change of military balance. Until 1977
the balance of power was in favor of the EPLF but after that the situation
changed. An important political development emerged in the field that went
on for ten years, from 1777-1987. That was the Second and Unity Congress
was conducted and with that the unity within the Eritrean revolution was
realized. The struggle continued within the framework and credence of the
EPLF. Hence, the Second and Unity Congress was an important political
milestone.

The second scenario that emerged during this time was the interference of
the Soviet Union. This external intervention had two strategies: the enemy
and the external forces that took side with the enemy with a motive to deny
the fundamental rights of the Eritrean people (the Soviet Union and its
allies-South Yemen, some Palestine organizations) on the other hand and the
EPLF and other revolutionary fighters on the other. The antagonism was
between these two forces. This stage was very complicated and intertwined.
How did the EPLF pass through that? The liberation struggle sustained
because all Eritreans nationalists from all factions stood together against
the external invasion and against the sub-nationalist elements within the
revolution. That was a very historic stage in which the unity of the true
nationalists was realized.

The other scenario observed within these 10 years was the drought. There
was severe drought. The situation was very challenging for both the
Eritrean people, the EPLF as well as for the Horn of Africa. However, the
EPLF shouldered the task of alleviating and controlling these challenges;
it set up camps and run programs to provide shelter and care for dislocated
families and orphaned children and it eased the problem.

The other aspect worth mentioning during this stage was the political
activity. From 1977 to 1987 rigorous political activities were conducted
targeted at the population and the combatants. Conducting strategic
withdrawal was by itself historical. The second aspect of the EPLF’s
political work pertained to mass organizations. The fundamental policy was
to organize the Eritrean masses on the basis of their social status into
associations of workers, peasants, students, women as well as
professionals. Empowering the people was a big task of the time. The
strategy of the EPLF was to free the land and people stage by stage. In
other words after liberating the land the task was enabling the population
participate in political activities through forming resistance committees.
The challenge was on how to materialize the then slogan of the EPLF:
politicizing, organizing and arming the people. In the 1977-1978 periods
the efforts made to promote the role of women were also of special
interest. The EPLF gave special attention to women to ensure their
participation in the struggle for independence. Hence, it was made possible
that the Eritrean women become exemplary by heroically demonstrating their
importance in the struggle.

The other aspect I would like to mention was the different attempts waged
by the enemy quarters to foil the Eritrean revolution through means of
arms, media and diplomatic maneuvers. However, the EPLF was able to conduct
significant media and diplomatic activities reorganizing itself inside the
country and abroad.

With the strategic withdrawal there were many who doubted the continuity of
the revolution. There were also some which thought that was the end of the
Eritrean revolution. The EPLF, however, continued the struggle employing
sophisticated strategies and tactics and possessing superior consciousness
and morale.

Hence, the period could be described as a period in which the EPLF came
triumphant by foiling different offensives by the Derge regime. The EPLF is
huge organization and it was a huge success for it to organize a formidable
army we call EPLA.

We understand that the interference of the Soviet Union in 1977-78 was very
trying time for the Eritrean revolution. But still the EPLF came out
stronger; what was the secret behind it?

The secret is being Eritrean; the perseverance of the Eritrean people. In
1977 almost 95% of the land was liberated. 90% of it under direct
administration of the EPLF and due to the massive Soviet interference the
balance of power shifted in favor of the Derge regime and we were compelled
to conduct strategic withdrawal.
Expectation for an external help had been always the culture of the
successive Ethiopian regimes. The Haileselasie regime stayed in power
during the Second World War because of direct assistance from the west.
Eritrea was condemned to stay under Ethiopian rule because of unjust
decision on the part of the west, especially of that of the US. Likewise,
the Derge regime in 1977 realizing its defeat at the hands of the EPLF
sought help from the Soviet Union. And it received massive military
hardware and the military hardware was transported to Eritrea by cargo
planes and ships.

With the circumstances on the ground the EPLF was compelled to withdraw
from the 90% land which was under its administration. The strategic
withdrawal did not mean taking a leap back to the base area. The basic
elements of the strategic withdrawal were preserving human resources,
conserving weapons, boasting morale of the combatants, inflicting human,
material and morale loses on the enemy. That demonstrated the strong
quality and far sight of its leadership. That was the secret of the EPLF
and is documented in the annals of history. There was strong belief on the
EPLF’s leadership, perseverance and firm stance.

The Eritrean revolution at the time did not have recognition from the two
camps. It has been also said that “The Eritrean revolution is committing
suicide”. What was that the two camps failed to see? What is the secret for
the EPLF to emerge triumphant passing through such trying time?

Eritrea, in geo-political perspective, is located along the Red Sea and in
the Horn of Africa. The area has geo-political importance. If you have the
desire to control the Red Sea, the Horn of African and above all the Indian
Ocean you have to occupy Eritrea. This is the core problem on the part of
the world powers. It is a matter of interest. And the only power, in their
eyes, that could guarantee their interest in the region is not the EPLF but
the regime in Ethiopia. They first said that was the Haileselasie regime
that could ensure their interest. The Haileselasie regime was overthrown by
the military junta. Then they associated to with the junta believing that
could safeguard their interest. On the other side the EPLF is the owner of
the land and has strong and committed people ready to fight for their
right. Frankly speaking thanks to the EPLF the Eritrean people reached to
this stage. The emergence of the EPLF as a power promoted geo-political
interest of the Eritrean people. And I still believe that the geo-political
interest of the Eritrean people will be further realized by the EPLF.

During that stage the Derge regime had one of the strongest armies in the
region. And because the regime was conducting successive military invasions
there was no breathing space. The EPLF was engaged in repulsing the enemy
invasion on the front line as well as conducting different activities
behind the front line including establishing peoples’ assemblies,
empowering women, providing academic education to combatants, sports
activities as well as political education. How do you explain this stage as
political victory?

Military campaign is part of political process. To consolidate the
political process we had to build a strong army. There was no other means
and that was the core understanding of the occupation forces. Political
works have also to be done within the combatants and people in the
liberated areas. Regular political education was introduced to raise
political consciousness of the combatants and the people and establishment
of popular assemblies and mass organizations. That had to be conducted
parallel with the military developments. The end result of all the
political activities is to reinforce the combat capacity of the revolution.

The strategy pursued by the EPLF was to liberate the land and people stage
by stage. To this end the EPLF set out and formulated clear military and
political strategy. It was not an easy task. The period from 1977 to the
liberation of Afabet was challenging. And the demise of Nadew Command and
the liberation of Afabet was the sum total of all the undertakings I tried
to explain. (Shabait)

CLICK HERE FOR HADAS ERITREA TIGIRNIA
INTERVIEW<http://74.63.78.28/feb2012/haddas_ertra_13032013.pdf>

http://eastafro.com/Post/2013/03/15/interview-with-mr-alamin-mohammed-sied-secretary-of-pfdj/

CLICK HERE FOR ERITREA ALHADITHA ARABIC
INTERVIEW<http://74.63.78.28/feb2012/eritrea_alhaditha_14032013.pdf>
http://74.63.78.28/feb2012/eritrea_alhaditha_14032013.pdf

Alamin-Mohammed-Seid.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: Alamin-Mohammed-Seid.jpg)