[dehai-news] (NRC) African cyclist lost in the Circulation

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:24:55 -0800 (PST)

http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2013/02/25/afrikaanse-wielrenner-de-weg-kwijt-in-de-omloop/ Sport
 African cyclist lost in the Circulation

Ferekalsi Debesay Abrha from Eritrea rode for the first time in a major cycling classic. He came in last in Superbike, long after the broom wagon. His team does not know exactly what happened. For hours they had lost him.

The South African cycling team MTN Qhubeka came with a wildcard to Ghent to the Superbike riding. Captain Gerald Ciolek finished eleventh behind winner Luca Paolini, his teammate Ferekalsi Debesay got lost.

The statements within the team about the temporary loss of Debesay were initially set, because nobody knew exactly where Debesay left off. So he would have done a long time on or after his assignment are driven directly to the hotel.

Debesay was not noticed by the broom wagon

A VTM journalist who made a documentary about the team'm sure Debesay at kilometer 115 gave up. She saw him completely numb eventually crossed the finish line driving an hour after the broom wagon, which the rider had apparently missed, was inside. Sports director Jens Zemke says to The Latest News:

"Eventually he came from the almost dark still on the measurement driven. Those cold, which is lethal to an African rider. And the cobblestones, which they have not in Eritrea. I still thought it clever of him! "

Bus driver Paul saw Ferekalsi Debesay only in the hotel again.

"We have waited a long time. Meanwhile, it started to get dark. But when I use my bus arrived back at the hotel, still half an hour away, he sat there obediently waiting. Being completely innocent. "

Foreman takes riders from Eritrea of ​​international class

Debelsay has won stages in the Tour of Eritrea and the Tour of Rwanda. Recently, he was third in the kermesse GP Paul Borremans. According to his foreman Kevin Campbell is Debelsay a rider of international class. His team Team MTN Qhubeka is the first African Professional Continental Team with the goal ever in the Tour de France to take part and to deliver a world champion.

Foundation wants a million Africans to get cycling

Sponsor Qhubeka want a million Africans to get the bikes. The foundation does this by cycling out to children in exchange for such planting of thirty trees. There is a bike for those who waste sorting, or food produces. Thus, the foundation wants more children receive in school, and beyond walking distance.

Ferekalsi Debesay said Thursday he against The News:

"I come from Asmara. There is every Sunday race. From 6 am to 2 pm in the afternoon. All categories. Also mountain bike and ladies cycling. Besides, I have two brothers and one sister. And all those quotes. There are about forty rates per year. And that is the same in every city. The cycling culture came along with the colonizer, Italy. Cycling is number one sport in Eritrea. "

Debesay wants to win round trip reserved

The purpose of Debesay, the first rider from Eritrea who participated in the Circulation, is within two years of a ride in the Tour win. On his Facebook he placed Friday proud a photo of the start list of Superbike. Over the course of the competition, he has written nothing.

(Software translation)