[dehai-news] Diaspora Eritreans and Summer Holidays

From: Bereket Kidane <welela83_at_yahoo.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 02:00:24 -0800 (PST)

Reading the post "Welcome to Eritrea, Feel No More Homesick" by Eritrean Ngermany kind of made me homesick. It's good to see young Eritreans getting excited about their upcoming trip to Eritrea. I have always felt that if Eritrea continues to defeat these short-term obstacles thrown at it (because they're only short-term, Eritrea always wins in the end) it will be a country that experiences reverse migration. I have no doubt about that! There will come a time when some of the diaspora will return voluntarily and see Eritrea as their future home. I have already seen how diaspora Eritreans born and raised in the West react when they visit Eritrea. Eritrea not only meets but exceeds their expectation! To that end, the importance of "Zura Hagerka" summer camp designed to introduce young Eritreans raised in the West, Middle East and other parts of the world to Eritrea can't be underestimated. The Sawa Youth Festival has also played an important role in
 bringing diaspora youths from different parts of the world and have them mingle and get to know each other in a fun atmosphere. I am particularly impressed with Euro-Eritreans! For starter, they visit Eritrea more often. Some of them visit every summer. Probably because they are closer geographically and can find cheaper airfares. I was convinced that the young Euro-Eritreans I met during my summer vacation there have bonded with the Eritrean State in a more visceral way. They don't just see Eritrea as a place to run to when things get bad for them but as part of who they are and a center of their identity. Eritrean-Americans are no slouches either when it comes to that. Parents raising kids in the diaspora should continue to find ways to make Eritrea relevant to their lives.